does anyone know when windows 8.1 is being released on Nokia 928
DavidWebb

Hi, Does anyone know when we will get an upgrade to Windows 8.1 for the Nokia 928

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Re: does anyone know when windows 8.1 is being released on Nokia 928
rcschnoor
Legend

No one on these forums knows the answer to this question and Verizon won't/can't give a date.

0 Likes
ryanthecryinglion

Myself personally, I've given up on the fact that Verizon would even consider giving any customer the slightest possible idea of when the rollout should take place.  Windows Phone from what I understand has only about just under 4% of the U.S. Market share, so a priority is not an issue with Verizon at this time.  Which is a sad thing, because ANY Verizon Wireless customer should be given top priority.  And I'm not just talking about standard customer service.  I'm talking about ALL areas, including software updates and such.  Granted, it does take time to make sure the software being offered needs to be in excellent working order.  But when you have countless inquires from Windows Phone owners, and continual silence on the part of Verizon, for me it tends to tarnish the relationship between the customer and the provider.  Meaning, it's no longer the issue of Windows Phone but rather an issue with customer devotion.  At this point it wouldn't matter if I had an iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or an old fashioned flip phone.  What would matter is how the provider supports it's customer base.  Verizon, you need to either act on pushing the update out, or at the very least you owe it to your customers on giving an estimated time schedule and/or status of functionality on this update.

0 Likes
Woodkie

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Released."  The update has been released by Microsoft and Nokia, just not Verizon. If you wait for Verizon, you will likely be waiting at least until December. However, you can bypass Verizon and get the update straight from Microsoft by joining the WIndows Developer program and installing the Preview for Developers app. It's very easy and you don't really have to be a developer to get everything working. The sad truth is that if you are an Android or Windows phone user, you are at the mercy of Verizon and Verizon just isn't really all that motivated to test and push out releases. They would much rather you just buy a new phone. Since Apple maintains complete control over their platform, iPhone users are not subjected to Verizon's chronically dismal history in releasing updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

HTC and Motorola updating disproves what you just said. Their transparency shown carriers have less control and they make guarantees on their updating comes in a timely manner which the past year have been doing. How can 2 companies able to do this that are considered bottom of the barrel in terms of market share able to do it and Nokia and the much larger companies(like Samsung) can't? Motorola and HTC said their next major update will happen within 90 days from when Google releases their code. So how are these two companies going to make a guarantee if they had no control especially in the USA?

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

There is a difference between HTC and Motorola releasing software only fixes and what Microsoft/Nokia releasing a firmware fix AND a software update.  Microsoft does not want people to 8.1 until the firmware is prepared to accept it.  If you want the software as several others stated you can get the DP and bypass Verizon but there are issues and they are fairly well documented.  HTC are releasing ONLY software not firmware.  Software does NOT need Verizon approval unless they can show that it causes issues on their network.  Verizon DOES demand that all firmware be tested despite the fact they know little or nothing about the underlying hardware.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wrong... You are grabbing at straws here man. You said it yourself right? Everything has too go through Verizon right? You don't think Motorola and HTC can't document anything doing it the way they do it?

Oh and you are F-ing wrong that HTC doesn't release firmware. Buy a HTC M8(windows or Android) and join HTC elevate. They do have firmware updates. They just don't give it a fancy name like Nokia does.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yet it still comes down to how HTC and Motorola is doing something you want and don't want to admit it.

0 Likes
DnQ

Verizon told me October 10th is the estimated release date, but it could be sooner (or later)

0 Likes