finally have 8.1
compguygo

I bought a Microsoft Band just to find out that when you have a nokia icon with Verizon you can’t use watch. For it to work you must have windows 8.1 and Verizon is not giving out that update. I called support at Microsoft they told me to sign up for windows app studio I did then when I hit update I got the update to 8.1. I was then able to hook the band up to phone. I have Cortana and some other new things all is good and was not that hard and was free. I guess I am telling all just leave Verizon out of the loop and do what I did all is great.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: finally have 8.1
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

As has been pointed out over and over again, 8.1 is only part of the puzzle. We need the Cyan firmware to make everything work properly and at this point, the likelihood of that happening is decreasing by the day.

compguygo

I know in the cyan firmware there is some new stuff but mine with only 8.1 update works real well and you have to take what you can get cortana is fun and now the band work I am happy Greg

0 Likes
speedpilotf16
Enthusiast - Level 3

when the bands came out, I was looking at buying one. But then I noticed the same thing you did about the band needing 8.1. So I'm currently holding on to my money for buying one when Verizon eventually let us have the update. I also noticed that are several more apps out there, that I would love to get my hands on, but they are only available to phones with 8.1. Now that denim is being released to the public, I hope it will be soon that we see 8.1 and cyan. But I'm not holding my breath.

0 Likes
tphendy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am getting increasingly frustrated with Verizon and their apparent distaste for Windows phones and support.  I am about to switch carriers because I like Windows so much and I have been a loyal Verizon customer for over 10 years but enough is enough.

I don't understand what you are telling us to do.  You say to "sign up for Windows App Studio".  I downloaded the app by that name but it doesn't tell me anything about 8.1.  And where do you go to get the update?  If you wouldn't mind, please give a step by step instruction.

I am looking forward to this upgrade.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
IT247
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also put Developers Preview on my Icon and my wife's Icon. No problems, they work much better than when I got them. This is NOT a beta it is the finished operating system that every other carrier is using. Verizon knows 8.1 works on their system, because lots of us are running it already. They just won't give it to you.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

There's one piece the Preview for Developers is missing is the firmware and that's part of the hold up.  I think its because VZW wants XTLE and VoLTE to work flawlessly...

tphendy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the comment. I didn't want to get in over my head.

I've always liked Verizon but this is really ticking me off. They have an obligation to provide the latest updates. Maybe I should ask for a discount!

Sent from my Nokia Icon Windows Phone