import contacts from PC to trophy
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Evenin' all.

I've just purchased a Trophy, and need to import all my contacts from my PC.

I had a Samsung I-760, and it's become so corrupted no one has been able to get anything off the old phone over to the new phone. I spent yesterday afternoon, bluetoothing all my contacts off the old phone, onto my mac, and then using my flash drive moved all the vcf files over to my pc, and am now attempting to import them all into outlook 2007-- one at a time..... ugh!!!!!

I've stopped by the store, and just got off the phone with tech support, and everyone is telling me I have to load all my contacts onto the internet, and then import them to the phone.

To me this is untolerable. I've been given most of these contacts with the explicit understanding that the information not be made public.

So.... someone..... please..... tell me that there is a way to not have to do this manually-- I've got around 200 contacts.

I had initially tried just copying the pim.vol file off the samsung, and onto the Trophy. Of course that did not take, so I was left with what I'd desribed above.

I've found that the only bluetooth services the Trophy has is for audio-- no file-transfer capabilities whatsoever.... This is beyond the use of nice words, and is seriously disappointing.

Zune of course has no calendar/contact transfer recognition, so that cannot be used-- what a waste of a perfectly good idea.

Any experiences yet that are doable?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: import contacts from PC to trophy
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello forum members,

I appreciate all the input on this topic. The best way to import contacts, as , stated, is to export them from Microsoft Outlook into a .csv file. Once they are in a .csv file you can import them in your Windows Live account that associated with your device. I have noted the steps below for you.

Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express:

1.  Select File > Import/Export > Export to a file

2.  Choose Comma Separated Values (Windows) > Select Contacts > Save exported file (preferably the desktop)

Import to Live Account:

1.  Sign into your Live ID at www.hotmail.com on a pc

2.  From your inbox screen, select Contacts from the left side of the screen

3.  Select Options from the top right side of the screen

4.  Select Import Contacts from the Customizing Your Contacts list

5. Select your .csv contact file and click Import Contacts

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mooreshelby
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would recommend this article by Paul Thurrott, it explains how to create a CSV file that can be imported. It does require that you use the "cloud". 

Windows Phone And The Move To The Cloud

Hopefullly it will help you get your contacts onto your phone.

-Shelby

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

export then import to windows live/hotmail or gmail

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello forum members,

I appreciate all the input on this topic. The best way to import contacts, as , stated, is to export them from Microsoft Outlook into a .csv file. Once they are in a .csv file you can import them in your Windows Live account that associated with your device. I have noted the steps below for you.

2.  Choose Comma Separated Values (Windows) > Select Contacts > Save exported file (preferably the desktop)

Import to Live Account:

Hope this helps...

0 Likes
thezoltar

I exported my 300+ contacts easily to my WindowsLive account and they transfered easily to my Trophy. While I wasn't crazy about uploading everthing online I think we all have to realize that the cloud is the way of the future. Now everything I do is synced almost immediately. Very cool...

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello forum members,

I appreciate all the input on this topic. The best way to import contacts, as chinch, stated, is to export them from Microsoft Outlook into a .csv file. Once they are in a .csv file you can import them in your Windows Live account that associated with your device. I have noted the steps below for you.

Import to Live Account:

Hope this helps...

I disagree.  I believe the best way is to use the Hotmail Exchange Connector with Outlook, copy contacts from your existing hotmail account to the Live account, and sync.  With a csv file import, your contacts are not going to remain synced.  Using this method they will.

0 Likes
sslanda2001

It is fantastically annoying. Hopefully hours of work on my part will save hours of work for someone else.

The method, in general, is to export from someplace else like Backup Assistant, then import into your Hotmail contacts; then those will automatically update on your phone.

Exporting my old contacts from backup assistant was easy enough.

However, it put all kinds of field names in the first line that hotmail didn't recognize so wouldn't import. Therefore, BEFORE importing into hotmail, you will probably need to edit the CSV file in Excel. Valid field names (first line) for a file for hotmail import are:

Title,First Name,Middle Name,Last Name,Suffix,Company,Department,Job Title,Business Street,Business Street 2,Business Street 3,Business City,Business State,Business Postal Code,Business Country/Region,Home Street,Home Street 2,Home Street 3,Home City,Home State,Home Postal Code,Home Country/Region,Other Street,Other Street 2,Other Street 3,Other City,Other State,Other Postal Code,Other Country/Region,Assistant's Phone,Business Fax,Business Phone,Business Phone 2,Callback,Car Phone,Company Main Phone,Home Fax,Home Phone,Home Phone 2,ISDN,Mobile Phone,Other Fax,Other Phone,Pager,Primary Phone,Radio Phone,TTY/TDD Phone,Telex,Account,Anniversary,Assistant's Name,Billing Information,Birthday,Business Address PO Box,Categories,Children,Directory Server,E-mail Address,E-mail Type,E-mail Display Name,E-mail 2 Address,E-mail 2 Type,E-mail 2 Display Name,E-mail 3 Address,E-mail 3 Type,E-mail 3 Display Name,Gender,Government ID Number,Hobby,Home Address PO Box,Initials,Internet Free Busy,Keywords,Language,Location,Manager's Name,Mileage,Notes,Office Location,Organizational ID Number,Other Address PO Box,Priority,Private,Profession,Referred By,Sensitivity,Spouse,User 1,User 2,User 3,User 4,Web Page

HOWEVER, not all of the fields flagged "Phone" above will trickle down to your HTC trophy. From the above, here are the correspondences for which fields in the CSV file get added to which fields in the phone's contacts:

Assistant's phone (not used in Trophy)

Business Phone = Work

Business Phone 2 = Work 2

Car Phone (not used)

Company Main Phone = Company

Home Phone = Home

Home Phone 2 = Home 2

Mobile Phone = Mobile

Other Phone (not used)

Primary Phone (not used)

Radio Phone (not used)

TTY/TTD phone (not used)

What this means is that, if you import a CSV file into Hotmail with phone numbers under "Other phone", you will see it in Hotmail, but it will not appear in your Trophy--so if that's your goal, clear that field and move it someplace else, like Home 2.

Bon courage.

0 Likes