is the HTX 8X going to get 8.1 before Lumia phones? Apparently so, end of October is next week
jeffindayton
Enthusiast - Level 3

The HTC 8X is supposed to get the 8.1 in October, there's only 1 week left!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: is the HTX 8X going to get 8.1 before Lumia phones? Apparently so, end of October is next week
Tidbits
Legend

HTC owned up to their updating process and if they do it within the next week or two then it wouldn't surprise me.  Unlike Nokia HTC doesn't hide behind carriers when it comes to their updating. 

Re: is the HTX 8X going to get 8.1 before Lumia phones? Apparently so, end of October is next week
jeffindayton
Enthusiast - Level 3

at least they provided some sort of useful information instead of "we don't know, see our useless link for more drivel"

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I said in other threads there is no reason why Nokia can't do it. HTC and Motorola had been more transparent than other manufacturers, and have been updating faster than others as well.

Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Hasn't done them any good though. They can be as transparent as air and it doesn't mean squat if the ball isn't in their court. 8X still doesn't have the update, and likely won't until those Verizon apps I never use work flawlessly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I said this was done by HTC themselves. They released a new beta for their devices. There were bugs. Verizon hasn't even gotten the update from HTC yet.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

I was strictly referring to their transparency and how it can't help them get anything official out via Verizon. I'd certainly welcome a similar beta program through MS for Lumia devices, complete with firmware. They could let you set options on how cutting edge you want to be, so you don't necessarily get the bleeding edge updates if you don't want them, but perhaps you can get something more stable that simply isn't available yet via official carrier channels.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They won't say anything, and honestly as a developer I actually expect them not to. They honestly don't know because they don't touch the code. If I tell my client 3 weeks and he tells everyone 3 weeks and if it is delayed he gets into trouble not me. So I expect manufacturers to say more than what they do as they know what is going on and can be more transparent about it. Also none of this I give a small piece of information for pacification purposes answers without giving any real information.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Alexvrb wrote:

I was strictly referring to their transparency and how it can't help them get anything official out via Verizon. I'd certainly welcome a similar beta program through MS for Lumia devices, complete with firmware. They could let you set options on how cutting edge you want to be, so you don't necessarily get the bleeding edge updates if you don't want them, but perhaps you can get something more stable that simply isn't available yet via official carrier channels.

HTC does their own beta on their own.  Nokia could do the same if they wanted to.  HTC does their elevate thing and they randomly pick people who are part of the program and ask if they want to beta test things.  I have beta tested phones, software, and accessories with the elevate program.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Random selection wasn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about an opt-in public beta with varying levels available. Similar to what you can select with the Win10 preview for larger devices. I know that isn't Verizon's fault. There are many things that are, this is not one of them. I was just saying that is the kind of program I'd like to see. Anyway, a beta program or being transparent(ish) still won't help MS, HTC, et al slip any official updates past Big Red if they don't want the update released.

0 Likes