lumia 822 - bad choice...out of luck i guess
ryans74

I bought the Nokia Lumia 822 when I renewed my contract. Early on the phone was randomly turning itself off during the day and at night. I do not have a land line at home and this is also my business phone. Random shut downs are not safe at night nor good for getting business calls.

I stuck it out after reading in Verizon's forums that this was a common issue and might be fixed in a software patch release by Nokia/Microsoft.

After several patches and a recent (this week) reset to factory settings the problem has persisted. Just this week it has happened over 15 times causing missed calls.

No software updates have helped.

The forum still has numerous posts complaining of this issue but Verizon does not seem to be aware of it or want to acknowledge it..

I had to reactivate my old Droid X on my line to keep a reliable phone powered on.

I did have a phone and email conversation with technical support who promised a solution and never got back to me. Now she will not respond to my emails.

After my contract is done, I will be taking my 2 phone lines elsewhere, just about the time I will be adding a 3rd line.

Hopefully someone will think twice about purchasing this phone.

Ryan

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: lumia 822 - bad choice...out of luck i guess
primortal
Master - Level 1

How many time have you requested a phone replacement?  This is not the norm for this phone.  I've had my 822 since its launch and have never had the problems you mentioned.  I also have several friends with the same phone and too never had any problems with them.

ryans74

Hi. Do you think it is the software or the phone itself?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Phone itself.  If it was software, my friends and I would be having the same problems as you.

suewilson

this is the OS, not phone.  it is happening to other Nokia windows phones as well.  i've had this phone for approx 2 mths and have been told by verizon tech support that microsoft was supposed to issue the patch to correct this issue by the end of june.  ha!  i've made repeated calls to tech support, now they say patch delayed till end of july.  HA! again!!  sad part is, verizon has known this was an issue and continued to sell the phones.  i tried to return my phone within the 2 week period, but was told that the 2 weeks start on the day you ordered the phone, not received and activated it.  now i'm stuck for 2 years with a piece of crap phone.  no more windows phones for me.  i missed the 2 week mark by 24 hours.

0 Likes
kyderr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had this problem for some time as well. I was also told by Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft that it was a known problem and there were fixes in the works.  I like you also stopped getting responses from Verizon, Nokia, and Microsoft.  Nokia offered me a replacement phone while at the same time admitting that it would not solve the problem.  I am living with it at the moment, as I like the phone otherwise.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Its the phone and not the OS.  VZW support is as always clueless.

I've had my 822 since it was launched and along with a few friends that have the same phone have never had any issues with it. My phone also has all the current patches/updates and still no issues described.

I swear VWZ just keeps passing these bad batch of phones to everyone else when one is sent back.

0 Likes
kyderr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, based on Nokia's discussion with me, I blame the OS on the Nokia platform.  Nokia acknowledged to me that there was problems.   I tested another phone,  same problem.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I'm guessing what ever changes they made to the device since its launch added to the instability.  Like I said my phone has been running like a champ since day one.

0 Likes
kyderr
Enthusiast - Level 2

They changed the Wifi to stay on, Which i disabled. But battery life has slowly been getting worse.  I truly think it's a bad battery.

0 Likes