update to windows phone 8.1
PMDonovan
Enthusiast - Level 1

When will Verizon roll out Windows Phone 8.1 to current customers using Windows Phone 8.0?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: update to windows phone 8.1
primortal
Master - Level 1

OEMs are suppose to get 8.1 on 4/14 (if no show stopping bugs are discovered) and Nokia said during Microsoft BUILD Conference that sometime during the Summer 8.1 will be available on all devices which include a new firmware (Cyan).  So the way VZW operates they'll probably release it late summer early fall.

You can join the developer preview program and get sometime after the 14th.

Lastly VZW will never comment on release schedule for updates.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

OEMs are suppose to get 8.1 on 4/14 (if no show stopping bugs are discovered) and Nokia said during Microsoft BUILD Conference that sometime during the Summer 8.1 will be available on all devices which include a new firmware (Cyan).  So the way VZW operates they'll probably release it late summer early fall.

You can join the developer preview program and get sometime after the 14th.

Lastly VZW will never comment on release schedule for updates.

0 Likes
JMColo

Has anyone looked into "Preview for Developers"?

Can there be any 8.1 conflicts with Amber, before Cyan?

all you need is AppStudio from MS to be a "Developer"

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

If you go that route, you will void your Warranty.

0 Likes
wellSmoke
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded my 928 on Monday to 8.1. So far its been great its like i have a whole new phone.

All i did was register at the App Studio. Then download Preview for Developers App. Run said App and check for updates.

Also you need update 2 at the least.

scolab
Enthusiast - Level 3

I installed the Dev Preview on Monday also. Still getting to it, but some great features, including:

Notification Center

Cortana

Background Image on Start with clear tiles

Follow wpcentral.com for more information.

KRBaum
Enthusiast - Level 1

How did you get 8.1?? I checked for it almost daily and its still not available for my 928. (That's what I am doing on the website now seeing if I can findout when its being released))...???

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

It's not officially released yet and you can install the preview version.

If you want to install the preview you'll need a free developers account, https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop/devpreview

Then you need to install the Preview for Developers application on the phone itself.

Please be warned that doing this can void your warranty and there is no easy way of going back to 8.0.

BryanSP
Enthusiast - Level 1

I installed the 8.1 Developer Preview about a month ago on my Icon.  Since then, it has been hell!  My phone freezes up and gets very hot.  The battery drains within minutes.  I have to restart it several times a day.  Everything seems to work OK until I start using WiFi or leave and connect to another WiFi.

The Developer Preview says you cannot go back to a previous version.  Is there a way to go back?  I loved my phone until I did this update.  I just want to go back to the way it was until Verizon (hopefully) releases their 8.1 update.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Have you installed the latest update to the developer preview?

I also had similar problems with the phone heating up and battery drain.  Once I installed the update and did a hard reset my Icon hasn't had any issues as of yet.

The key thing is that with any OS update is to do a hard reset.  A lot of users have said it solves majority of the issues you encounter.

You can revert back to 8.0, Windows Phone Central Forums