why is verizon being so stupid not updating icon to 8.1?
steve330
Enthusiast - Level 1

why is verizon being so stupid not updating icon to 8.1?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: why is verizon being so stupid not updating icon to 8.1?
Not applicable

Why is it stupid? It is a low selling device.

The updates come from Microsoft through the device makers.

There are so many threads on this its repetitive.

0 Likes
AO180
Enthusiast - Level 3

The update from Microsoft was already released to Verizon. Verizon is still testing 8.1 Cyan. This update is already active on AT&T.

Yes, there ARE many threads on this already. It is encouraging to see so many WP fans chomping at the bit to see this exciting update.

The WP line may be a comparably "low selling device," but considering several million have been purchased and are in use, it's not just a drop in the bucket.

Verizon has one of the most robust networks in the world. They need to ensure that all phones function appropriately on their network prior to a mass release. This update is not a small tweak; Microsoft and Verizon both receive feedback from developers and beta testers during the testing phase. Though I'm just as excited to receive the update, I'm glad they are taking their time to get it right.

Another consideration is marketing. With the new HTC out, it makes more sense to push a new phone with Cyan baked in, wait a couple weeks, then release Cyan to the rest.

<< Personal comments removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
Not applicable

As long as I write the truth the post is relevant.

I have written this over and over not just for windows phones but androids as well. (Since we have androids and iPhone in our household) The cellular carrier does not have to update anything.

Please Google the T-Mobile actions regarding a windows phone. They are not releasing an update to a certain unit. And they don't have to. I provided the links.

Why of the 24 windows phones is t-mobile not up... | T-Mobile Support

No more updates for T-Mobile's year-old Lumia 810 Windows Phone - Neowin

Good Luck

<< Personal comments removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
AO180
Enthusiast - Level 3

The update was pushed to Verizon from Microsoft already, so your statement about the update coming from the manufacturer is irrelevant.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Truth is truth. You cannot get away from that.

And I don't care if Microsoft via the device maker sent it to Verizon. They will push it out when and if they want to. That is a harsh truth but it is the truth.

0 Likes
AO180
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm certain you speak many truths, however, the point still stands that it is Verizon that is holding up the release, not the manufacturer. Verizon, of course, may or may not release Cyan, but the latter is highly unlikely. Microsoft's marketing strategy has relied heavily on all WP carriers to release the update to phones that can support the update (and still run well).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's going to be updated. Everyone is ignoring the facts. It's in the certification phase. Which means it's in Nokia ballpark. The certification phase is things like FCC regulatory checks, WiFi and Bluetooth consortium checking out to keep the logos and use of those two technologies. Also Qualcomm needs to sign off on the CDMA radios.

Until Nokia gets passed that stage Verizon is in the dark about everything. It's always up to the manufacturer not the carrier like the media FUD going around.

Not applicable

It seems Tidbits is correct. It is not at Verizon since he wrote above:

It's going to be updated. Everyone is ignoring the facts. It's in the certification phase. Which means it's in Nokia ballpark

I believe your post was:

"The update from Microsoft was already released to Verizon. Verizon is still testing 8.1 Cyan".

So now you are back peddling since Tidbits statement was correct and you gave wrong information. Or not totally accurate.

And I know it was not done on purpose. Since I don't look for posting faults.

0 Likes
AO180
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not backpedaling at all; I stand by my post, but I will research his response of course.

0 Likes