Heard that Lollipop went out to SOME z3v phones -- is the update FINALLY happening?
KeyWestReactor
Contributor - Level 1

Anybody FINALLY getting their Lollipop onto their z3v phones?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Heard that Lollipop went out to SOME z3v phones -- is the update FINALLY happening?
Ichijo
Enthusiast - Level 2

All visits and the one call were for the VoLTE feature.

Phone was still fully functional after manual update. In fact it felt quicker and battery life had improved. Just no VoLTE or video calling.

Apologies in advance for the long and detailed post. I would've wished for details like these as well when I was first trying to get Verizon to help.

Sorta went like this:

(first 3 stores and phone call) Me - hi, I'd like to activate Advanced Calling/VoLTE on my Xperia

Store -What is that?

Me - (Explains phone and feature, without mentioning manual update)

Store - I still don't know. Let me get a tech / call tech support.

30 - 60 minutes later

Store - (states generic answer about how they are STILL working on said features)

Now the last store I went to had a young lady that was very patient and was determined to get it working (slow day). She called tech support and had my line provisioned or re-initialized. Didn't work so we stared messing with the mobile network settings, roaming, APNs and even the WiFi settings.

I remember setting the Preferred Network Type to each option and rebooting afterwards. That's what activated VoLTE. I think it was the "LTE/CDMA" setting but I cannot remember. Just be patient after changing the settings because it takes a while for the radio to reset (your signal will drop for a couple of seconds). After getting a signal, shut down your phone and wait about a minute. Once you boot up, try to activate Advanced Calling. Should work instantly.

I've heard that it will take up to 24hrs for your phone to be able to activate Advanced Calling. If it didn't work, I'd wait till the next day to try activating again.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Re: Heard that Lollipop went out to SOME z3v phones -- is the update FINALLY happening?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have the most current software on your phone KeywestReactor. The good news is that once the software is available it will automatically be pushed to your phone. Currently, I have no information regarding when the software will be available for this phone. I show that the most recent update for this phone was in January of 2015. You can visit http://vz.to/1izmFkr for the latest info on new software for this phone.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Strumph
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, visit http://vz.to/1izmFkr for the latest info on new software for this phone.... which the latest is from almost 11 months ago!

I too am wanting Lollipop at least for Android Auto and wouldn't mind VoLTE!

0 Likes
Ichijo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Idk about lollipop being "pushed" out by Verizon, but some of us have managed to get Verizon's Z3v Lollipop update from a 3rd party website.

Granted, this will (superficially) void your warranty. Still if you must absolutely have lollipop AND VoLTE, just Google 'xperia Z3v Lollipop 485'. Click on the xperiablog result, and proceed at your own risk.

I used that site for the 509 update and after 4 different store visits and an elevated support call I now have advanced calling (VoLTE) and video calling enabled on my Z3v with a Verizon-branded lollipop android OS.

Proof:

bit. ly/1jXrkwE

bit. ly/1J5RnIz

bit. ly/1NjTjkx

KeyWestReactor
Contributor - Level 1

Were the 4 store visits for separate issues, or did they involve a single issue that finally got taken care of by the "elelvated" support call?  Was the phone out of commission while you worked the issue(s) or were you able to still make calls and access the net?

I'm contemplating attempting the manual upgrade, but can't afford to be off-line if I require extensive support.  Just wondering what kind of problem I could face....

0 Likes
Ichijo
Enthusiast - Level 2

All visits and the one call were for the VoLTE feature.

Phone was still fully functional after manual update. In fact it felt quicker and battery life had improved. Just no VoLTE or video calling.

Apologies in advance for the long and detailed post. I would've wished for details like these as well when I was first trying to get Verizon to help.

Sorta went like this:

(first 3 stores and phone call) Me - hi, I'd like to activate Advanced Calling/VoLTE on my Xperia

Store -What is that?

Me - (Explains phone and feature, without mentioning manual update)

Store - I still don't know. Let me get a tech / call tech support.

30 - 60 minutes later

Store - (states generic answer about how they are STILL working on said features)

Now the last store I went to had a young lady that was very patient and was determined to get it working (slow day). She called tech support and had my line provisioned or re-initialized. Didn't work so we stared messing with the mobile network settings, roaming, APNs and even the WiFi settings.

I remember setting the Preferred Network Type to each option and rebooting afterwards. That's what activated VoLTE. I think it was the "LTE/CDMA" setting but I cannot remember. Just be patient after changing the settings because it takes a while for the radio to reset (your signal will drop for a couple of seconds). After getting a signal, shut down your phone and wait about a minute. Once you boot up, try to activate Advanced Calling. Should work instantly.

I've heard that it will take up to 24hrs for your phone to be able to activate Advanced Calling. If it didn't work, I'd wait till the next day to try activating again.

Hope this helps.

Ichijo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course, if you don't need/care for VoLTE or video calling then the update works fine out out the box.

I had no issues after updating manually.