Why is my iPad mini 2 using data when connected to wi-fi?
hosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently got my son an iPad mini 2.  It's burning through data like wildfire.  I've looked at the usage and it's using at least half a gig around 6:30am.  No one is using the iPad at this time.  It's also connected to wifi when this happens.  On Saturday morning it burned through 2.5 gigs while no one was using it and connected to wifi.  I've turned off using data for app background refresh and limited cellular data to youtube and safari only.  Even the app store is not selected to use data.  My son is very young and does not have any social media or email pushes.  Is anyone having an issue where their device is using cellular data even when connected to wifi?  I haven't updated iOS to 10 yet, so still running 9.3.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've burned through 53% of my data in the first five days of the billing cycle.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ipad mini 2 using data when connected to wifi
hosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

YouTube Kids app.... absolutely drinking up data.  I tried running YouTube through Safari rather than the app and it seems like it doesn't use quite as much.  I'll keep monitoring it. 

If anyone is seeing their data fly out the window, check for video streaming apps.  The YouTube Kids app does not let me choose a lower resolution so everything streams in HD which will deplete 10Gb of data in a matter of hours.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

Have you checked to see which apps are using the data?

How are you determining the data is being used around 6:30 AM. If it is in the data logs of your MyVerizon account, that time stamp DOES NOT indicate when the data was used. It only indicates when the data was reported back from the cellular towers. It can have been used anytime within the previous 24 hours.

It would be more useful to check your device to see which apps are using the most data and then check the settings on those apps.

Also check to make sure wifi assist is turned OFF in your settings. If it is turned ON, the device can choose to use cellular data even if you are on wifi. This is a very questionable setting that Apple has placed on their devices which can account for a LOT of excess data usage for unsuspecting consumers.

0 Likes
hosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you rcschnoor.  I have yet to check which apps are using the data.  The time stamp did come from MyVerizon, so thank you for the clarification.  I'll have to log on to the iPad tonight and see what's using the data.  I did ensure Wifi Assist was turned off previously... should have mentioned that but thanks for the reminder. 

Just FYI, I did find some mention on Apple's support site about Verizon data usage and carrier settings.  I'll have to check if there's a carrier update/ which version it currently has.  Someone mentioned on there Verizon customers' devices were using data even when connected to wifi and Wifi Assist was off.  This was an Apple Certified Refurbished unit, so who knows the last time it was updated.

Again, thanks for the prompt response and I'll update with my findings.

0 Likes
hosh
Enthusiast - Level 2

YouTube Kids app.... absolutely drinking up data.  I tried running YouTube through Safari rather than the app and it seems like it doesn't use quite as much.  I'll keep monitoring it. 

If anyone is seeing their data fly out the window, check for video streaming apps.  The YouTube Kids app does not let me choose a lower resolution so everything streams in HD which will deplete 10Gb of data in a matter of hours.

rcschnoor
Legend

hosh wrote:

If anyone is seeing their data fly out the window, check for video streaming apps.

This is one of the first things we tell people on here which are complaining about their data usage, yet many refuse to do anything to actually determine what is actually using the data. Thanks for reporting back with your findings as we can now let others know who may have the same situation.

Keep in mind, that data usage is a running total since the last time you reset the counter at the very bottom of that list of apps using data. To keep an eye on future usage, you may want to reset the counter and watch for any apps which may start using data at a fast clip.Smiley Happy

0 Likes