Re: can i occasionally use my smartphone sim in my ipad
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Ann154 said: "The 4G LTE mobile broadband devices have never been allowed to on the non-prioritized unlimited plans."

That article is just discussing the introduction to the 4G on Verizon Wireless. It also spoke about Verizon introducing tiered data plans which costs people more money. But if people already had 3G unlimited data, Verizon had to let them upgrade to a 4G capable device. One of those C block spectrum condition was that Verizon is NOT allowed to tell people what they can use their unlimited data on whether it be a phone or an iPad device hence why I am able to place my sim card in a jetpack and not be penalized.  

ricardo1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a reply to my own original post because the well-meaning responders seemed to be all over the place with their answers. I decided to go direct to VZW via chat and I am happy to report that I am allowed to move the sim between my phone and ipad whenever I want to browse the web over 4G from my ipad. And it will not jeopardize my plan.

Below is a portion of my online chat with VZW for those who would like to see something in writing from the company. I will do a final reply after I try it later to let those who care know how it goes. Thanks to all who took the time to read or respond to my question.

Verizon-You will need to remove the sim card from the LG G7 thinq from your device and turn the device OFF and insert the sim card on the IPad after that turn ON the device (IPad) ensure that the LG G7 is turned off.
You-so it is OK to take sim out of phone, put in ipad? use it in ipad ?. then put back in phone and use in phone ...and do this on occasion whenever I want to browse web over 4g from ipad?
Verizon-Absolutely!
Verizon-Yes, it's the correct procedure which can follow for your occasionally as per your convenience.
You-and I wont cause my grandfathered unlimited data / nationwide 450 minutes plan to get lost/changed/canceled?
Verizon-No, there will be no effect on the Unlimited plan rest assured.
Verizon-All you need to is put the sim card to the IPad and that will do.

rcschnoor
Legend

@ricardo1234 wrote:

You-and I wont cause my grandfathered unlimited data / nationwide 450 minutes plan to get lost/changed/canceled?
Verizon-All you need to is put the sim card to the IPad and that will do.

And yet on this forum you probably see the majority of threads with people complaining they were told one thing by Verizon only to find out that what they were told didn't turn out to be true... Just sayin...

Regardless, if it works for you, GREAT.

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Ricardo1234: This is a reply to my own original post because the well-meaning responders seemed to be all over the place with their answers. I decided to go direct to VZW via chat and I am happy to report that I am allowed to move the sim between my phone and ipad whenever I want to browse the web over 4G from my ipad. And it will not jeopardize my plan.

Below is a portion of my online chat with VZW for those who would like to see something in writing from the company. I will do a final reply after I try it later to let those who care know how it goes. Thanks to all who took the time to read or respond to my question.

Verizon-You will need to remove the sim card from the LG G7 thinq from your device and turn the device OFF and insert the sim card on the IPad after that turn ON the device (IPad) ensure that the LG G7 is turned off.
You-so it is OK to take sim out of phone, put in ipad? use it in ipad ?. then put back in phone and use in phone ...and do this on occasion whenever I want to browse web over 4g from ipad?
Verizon-Absolutely!
Verizon-Yes, it's the correct procedure which can follow for your occasionally as per your convenience.
Verizon-All you need to is put the sim card to the IPad and that will do."

Thank you for providing the correct answer and what I have been telling these "experts" all along. Hopefully they read this information and if someone in the future is asking the same question, they can provide them with the correct information instead of trying to tell them lies about this plan. A lot of people are angry that some of us still have this plan because it offers great benefits as opposed to those new "unlimited" data plans that it would be a violation of the terms of condition. Enjoy happy streaming and no buffering.

Keep in mind though that sometimes those verizon representatives provide false information as well.

ricardo1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

As promised , here is a reply from my iPad after switching the sim. It is obviously connected to the internet and my status bar shows I’m on 4G LTE. My online VZW account now shows my device is the iPad. Fingers will be crossed when I put the sim back in my phone but I am optimistic since I was told I’ll be ok during my online chat with the VZW support rep. I will make one more post after I make the sim switch back to my phone; and hopefully, maybe we can end this thread on a happy note!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Benitez147 wrote:

Thank you for providing the correct answer and what I have been telling these "experts" all along. Hopefully they read this information and if someone in the future is asking the same question, they can provide them with the correct information instead of trying to tell them lies about this plan. A lot of people are angry that some of us still have this plan because it offers great benefits as opposed to those new "unlimited" data plans that it would be a violation of the terms of condition. Enjoy happy streaming and no buffering.

Keep in mind though that sometimes those verizon representatives provide false information as well.

0 Likes
ricardo1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

Final update - I have returned the sim to my phone and it works as it should. I also checked my account info and I am still listed as having my original plan - nothing seems to have changed. So, I'll call it a happy outcome and I'll not be afraid to use my phone sim in my ipad one those special occasions when I'll need my ipad more than my phone. Hope this thread helps others who share my original concerns.

rcschnoor
Legend

@Benitez147 wrote:

I am happy you have a plan which works for you. Personally, I am not "angry" you still have the original unlimited data plan. I voluntarily gave mine up many years ago and switched to tiered data. Now I have one of the newer unlimited data plans and have NEVER had a problem with buffering and am ALSO paying over $100 less per month than I would have been paying had I kept the original unlimited data on all 4 of my lines. Everyone on my plan uses as much data as they would like and have never had a problem with buffering, including MANY hours of watching video every month.

There may be an occasional Verizon customer who is angry you still have the original unlimited data, but for many others the newer unlimited data plans are much less expensive than what they would have been paying with the original unlimited data plan, INCLUDING the one which gives you the most premium data. For those who use more than 75 GB/month they may have been better off with the original unlimited data, but I would guess most people use much less than that.

For me, I am much happier with my $200/month bill than the $300+/month I would be paying for 4 lines with the original unlimited data plan.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Benetez147 wrote: "That article is just discussing the introduction to the 4G on Verizon Wireless. It also spoke about Verizon introducing tiered data plans which costs people more money. But if people already had 3G unlimited data, Verizon had to let them upgrade to a 4G capable device. One of those C block spectrum condition was that Verizon is NOT allowed to tell people what they can use their unlimited data on whether it be a phone or an iPad device hence why I am able to place my sim card in a jetpack and not be penalized."

You left out an important detail.  Only the smartphones could upgraded to 4G LTE without changing their plan in 2010. The Verizon Wireless let 3G EDVO smartphones be upgraded to 4G LTE smartphones without changing their plan for a few years. The owners of the 3G EDVO mobile broadband devices are required to switch to a tiered data plan or one of current unlimited data with hotspot speed restrictions. There are a number discussions in this community forum that go into detail about this subject and many of them I participated in. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Rcshnoor said: "I am happy you have a plan which works for you. Personally, I am not "angry" you still have the original unlimited data plan. I voluntarily gave mine up many years ago and switched to tiered data. Now I have one of the newer unlimited data plans and have NEVER had a problem with buffering and am ALSO paying over $100 less per month than I would have been paying had I kept the original unlimited data on all 4 of my lines. Everyone on my plan uses as much data as they would like and have never had a problem with buffering, including MANY hours of watching video every month.

There may be an occasional Verizon customer who is angry you still have the original unlimited data, but for many others the newer unlimited data plans are much less expensive than what they would have been paying with the original unlimited data plan, INCLUDING the one which gives you the most premium data. For those who use more than 75 GB/month they may have been better off with the original unlimited data, but I would guess most people use much less than that.

For me, I am much happier with my $200/month bill than the $300+/month I would be paying for 4 lines with the original unlimited data plan."

Yes, I see people get angry in these threads with some of the responses of these people. They are angry that some of us have these plans and i'm not sure why. We have been with Verizon for a long time and that is why we are able to be on these plans. I agree, if you have 5 different people paying into the plan it can come out cheaper for everyone. I use my jetpack for when I travel, I use my laptop, phone, computer, tablets and fire stick and they all run smoothly. I know this plan is not going to be there forever, but I am going to enjoy while it lasts.

I think it was funny when former Verizon Wireless CFO Frank Shamu said "no one really uses data" when they introduced tiered data plans. Clearly he was lying through his teeth, as they were trying to capitalize on the overage fees. 

0 Likes