Re: can i occasionally use my smartphone sim in my ipad
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Ann154 said: "You left out an important detail.  Only the smartphones could upgraded to 4G LTE without changing their plan in 2010. The Verizon Wireless let 3G EDVO smartphones be upgraded to 4G LTE smartphones without changing their plan for a few years. The owners of the 3G EDVO mobile broadband devices are required to switch to a tiered data plan or one of current unlimited data with hotspot speed restrictions. There are a number discussions in this community forum that go into detail about this subject and many of them I participated in."

Yes, that is correct. Once those smartphones went into the 4G technology, then they are allowed to swap their SIM card onto other devices without penalty. You are correct about 3G mobile broadband devices not being able to upgrade to 4G. I didn't comment on 3G mobile broadband devices as I never had one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yes, you can use the same SIM Card in different devices as long as it fits. Please make sure that both devices are completely turned Off before swapping out their SIM Cards,okay?

StephannieP_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would recommend getting an individual SIM. JoelD_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ricardo1234 This site is a community forum and responses are usually provided by your peers. Should you ever want to speak with us directly you can as you did with the Chat.

Are you currently in need of further assistance? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ricardo1234! We hope that everything went well with your SIM swap. We would love to review some details on your account. Please reply to our private note. 

AaronS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure all answers have been provided. Let us know if there are any further questions. We are here at all times of the day. We are here for you. 
JavierD_VZW

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Rcschnoor said: "I am happy you have a plan which works for you. Personally, I am not "angry" you still have the original unlimited data plan. I voluntarily gave mine up many years ago and switched to tiered data. Now I have one of the newer unlimited data plans and have NEVER had a problem with buffering and am ALSO paying over $100 less per month than I would have been paying had I kept the original unlimited data on all 4 of my lines. Everyone on my plan uses as much data as they would like and have never had a problem with buffering, including MANY hours of watching video every month.

There may be an occasional Verizon customer who is angry you still have the original unlimited data, but for many others the newer unlimited data plans are much less expensive than what they would have been paying with the original unlimited data plan, INCLUDING the one which gives you the most premium data. For those who use more than 75 GB/month they may have been better off with the original unlimited data, but I would guess most people use much less than that.

For me, I am much happier with my $200/month bill than the $300+/month I would be paying for 4 lines with the original unlimited data plan."

I'm glad you like your plan. I do use more than 75 gb of data and I like knowing the fact that my data is not going to get throttled at any point. As I mentioned, I am able to put my SIM card in any 4G compatible device such as a jetpack or iPad. 

I also pay $97 before taxes and fees for 2 lines which is way cheaper than any of these mix and match data plans. My line access fee is $9.99 a month as opposed to $35-$45. I also have "unlimited" minutes. Another big plus is that my %22 company discount kicks $22 off my monthly bill. Not sure which plan you had that made your bill over $300 a month. As long as your happy with your limited plan, then you're good.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Benitez147 wrote:

I also pay $97 before taxes and fees for 2 lines which is way cheaper than any of these mix and match data plans. My line access fee is $9.99 a month as opposed to $35-$45. 

You are comparing 2 different types of billing practices. Your bill is split into 3 different buckets(line access fee, data fee and plan fee). The current billing practice is to put everything into one bucket. The current plan's line access fees would include the data fee and plan fee also. To compare accurately you would have to include a portion of your plan fee and all of your line's data fee to do so.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Benitez147 wrote:

I also have "unlimited" minutes. Another big plus is that my %22 company discount kicks $22 off my monthly bill. Not sure which plan you had that made your bill over $300 a month. As long as your happy with your limited plan, then you're good.

My bill WASN'T over $300/month, it was only around $220/month. You seem to forget, though, that the original unlimited data plan was only $29.99/month and is NOW $49.99/month. That would have been a $69/month increase after my 22% company discount kicked in. Keep in mind that company discounts only apply to the data charge on the primary line, not all lines, so JUST my data charge with unlimited data on all 4 lines would have been  $189/month.

I would be surprised if you actually have "unlimited" minutes because I was on the Nationwide plan which had 1400 minutes shared between all 4 lines and AFTER my 22% company discount kicked in that by itself was over $100. For a short period of time, Verizon offered a tier with "unlimited" minutes but just the "plan" price for that was over $100/month by itself BEFORE any line access fees.  I don't think that Verizon has lowered the prices on grandfathered plans since the time I was on one.

I didn't give up my grandfathered plan(minutes and unlimited data) until I was able to get enough shared data to cover our normal usage at a price BELOW what we were paying at the time. After making the switch, my bill dropped from ~$220 to ~$190. During the time we were on this shared data plan, probably around 2+ years($720+ in savings), we probably only had around $60 in data overages WITHOUT making any changes in how much data I wanted to use.

You are making a mistake in calling a "shared" data plan a "limited" data plan. We had "unlimited" data, it was just metered. If I am able to use AS MUCH data on a "metered" data plan as I was using on an "unlimited" data plan for a LOWER cost, I can't see a reason not to take the savings. Possibly you like to throw your money away more than I do. NOT ONCE during that time did I curtail the amount of data I wanted to use in order to keep my bill lower. I ALWAYS used as much data as I wanted. STILL, I was probably able to save $1000+ during the time I was on a shared data plan.

I have since switched to one of the newer as you like to say "limited" unlimited data plans. You are correct that I have a $45 line access fee for each of my lines instead of your $9.99 line access fee. What I DON'T have is your $49.99 data fee($39 after your 22% company discount). That already brings your monthly bill for each line MORE than any of my lines. On top of that you have your plan fee which is split across your 2 lines which brings your cost per line even higher.

For high data users like yourself who use MORE than 75 GB  EVERY month, the older data plans are better than the newer plans. For the VAST majority of users, though, I don't think they come close to 75 GB/month. I doubt if most even exceed 22 GB/month.  I use as much data as I would like and don't even come close to using 22 GB on my line each month. I have not once had my data speed slowed. You are correct that I could have kept my original unlimited data plan and have paid another $1000+/year and had the same experience, but it is VERY unlikely that I would have used any more data than I currently use. In fact, I could more than DOUBLE my current usage and STILL not have any effect on my data speed. On the contrary, I prefer to take that unused $1000+ every year and use it on something else I would actually use.

I am glad you are happy with your unlimited plan. I am happy with mine, too.😀

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Rcschnoor said: "My bill WASN'T over $300/month, it was only around $220/month. You seem to forget, though, that the original unlimited data plan was only $29.99/month and is NOW $49.99/month. That would have been a $69/month increase after my 22% company discount kicked in. Keep in mind that company discounts only apply to the data charge on the primary line, not all lines, so JUST my data charge with unlimited data on all 4 lines would have been  $189/month.

I would be surprised if you actually have "unlimited" minutes because I was on the Nationwide plan which had 1400 minutes shared between all 4 lines and AFTER my 22% company discount kicked in that by itself was over $100. For a short period of time, Verizon offered a tier with "unlimited" minutes but just the "plan" price for that was over $100/month by itself BEFORE any line access fees.  I don't think that Verizon has lowered the prices on grandfathered plans since the time I was on one.

I didn't give up my grandfathered plan(minutes and unlimited data) until I was able to get enough shared data to cover our normal usage at a price BELOW what we were paying at the time. After making the switch, my bill dropped from ~$220 to ~$190. During the time we were on this shared data plan, probably around 2+ years($720+ in savings), we probably only had around $60 in data overages WITHOUT making any changes in how much data I wanted to use.

You are making a mistake in calling a "shared" data plan a "limited" data plan. We had "unlimited" data, it was just metered. If I am able to use AS MUCH data on a "metered" data plan as I was using on an "unlimited" data plan for a LOWER cost, I can't see a reason not to take the savings. Possibly you like to throw your money away more than I do. NOT ONCE during that time did I curtail the amount of data I wanted to use in order to keep my bill lower. I ALWAYS used as much data as I wanted. STILL, I was probably able to save $1000+ during the time I was on a shared data plan.

I have since switched to one of the newer as you like to say "limited" unlimited data plans. You are correct that I have a $45 line access fee for each of my lines instead of your $9.99 line access fee. What I DON'T have is your $49.99 data fee($39 after your 22% company discount). That already brings your monthly bill for each line MORE than any of my lines. On top of that you have your plan fee which is split across your 2 lines which brings your cost per line even higher.

For high data users like yourself who use MORE than 75 GB  EVERY month, the older data plans are better than the newer plans. For the VAST majority of users, though, I don't think they come close to 75 GB/month. I doubt if most even exceed 22 GB/month.  I use as much data as I would like and don't even come close to using 22 GB on my line each month. I have not once had my data speed slowed. You are correct that I could have kept my original unlimited data plan and have paid another $1000+/year and had the same experience, but it is VERY unlikely that I would have used any more data than I currently use. In fact, I could more than DOUBLE my current usage and STILL not have any effect on my data speed. On the contrary, I prefer to take that unused $1000+ every year and use it on something else I would actually use.

I am glad you are happy with your unlimited plan. I am happy with mine, too.?"

I think Verizon is lying when they say the vast majority of people do not use more than 22 GB of data. More people are using data now more than ever. Wait until 4K becomes the norm and people start to stream that. It will eat up data like crazy. Have you read other threads on these community forums of people being on Get More done over by Verizon complaining about getting throttled even before they get to the 75GB limit. You also get 30GB mobile hotspot in which I can use ALL of my data for tethering. Have you streamed baseball games on a TV the whole season without getting throttled? It is pretty neat. I tried to see how much I would pay for the current set up on the mix and match plans and I have which is 2 lines and the total came up to 130 before taxes and fees which makes it about $30 more a month than I pay now. I can't speak on Verizon only offering a discount only on the main line for unlimited as I have only had 2 lines on my account. 1 smartphone and 1 basic phone and line access fee for my smartphone gets thrown in with my plan so it gets 22% discounted, so my plan and my plan and access fee come out to $29 a month. My basic phone comes out to $13 with some change after tax, that would be over 30 in the new mix and match plans. Not sure where you came up that im losing money as I am actually saving money and get to use as much data as I want without slowing. People who have TMoBlow and Sprint out of the store connect to my jetpack to get a reliable signal on their phones. If I added two more true unlimited data plans then it would jump up to $120 more a month which I would gladly pay, bet you if people had the option to get this plan then they would pay it to know they are not going to get throttled. 

I do have "unlimited" minutes. I am almost done with my monthly cycle and 0 minutes used. See below picture. Can you hear me now Verizon? Ha ha ha 03CBC0FA-045C-42C9-91A7-50C91C26E6BA.png

0 Likes