Changing Shipping Address After Ordering
clicheanna

I've recently placed an order to upgrade my iPhone 8 Plus to an iPhone 11. My account has my home address from more than two years ago, when I first bought the iPhone 8, and now I'm at school with a different address and assumed Verizon would give me the option to change it while making the order. I went through all the pages to place the order without receiving any screen where Verizon tells me where it'll be shipped (and no page that tells me what payment method is being used, because I was planning on changing it, but that's not as big of an issue I have right now). I click "Place Order" thinking it might direct me to a confirmation screen before actually placing it, but it doesn't. The order is confirmed. I think, well, that's my mistake for not checking to make sure I have the right address and right payment method before placing, and I should have gone back or updated my account settings. However, I assume it won't be a problem. At worst, I can quickly cancel the order (since I literally just placed it) and at best I change the shipping address. Neither of these are options.

I Googled the issue and found a Verizon FAQ page (https://www.verizon.com/support/shipping-faqs/ this is the first result on Google) where it says for existing customers that "Click the Chat with us button at the bottom right corner of this page to contact one of our representatives to discuss your options for the shipping address to be updated. Devices often ship immediately after an order is placed. If the device is in the process of being shipped, the address cannot be changed or updated."  I assume this option will tell me if my order has been shipped or not, but in my order tracking it currently does not say it has been shipped yet, so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem for the representative to change it manually. I ask "Can I change my shipping address after placing an order?" in the chat box. The automatic response tells me "I have no pending orders." That seems odd, since I can see the order in my account and I got a confirmation email that it had been placed.

The bot leads me to an interactive question about changing either my billing address or shipping address for my account. I change my shipping address, but when looking to check my previous order, that still has not been changed. I ask the bot again, phrasing the question differently. This time I get asked if I want to check the status of my order. They show me the order details and ask if I can be helped with anything else. I ask my previous question again, get told again "I have no pending orders" and am sent to the same interactive question to change my account address. There is no option asking me if this answered my question, and I am currently lost as to how to speak to an actual human about this question without calling Verizon themselves. (While I'm sure I can find the number, neither the FAQ and the chat actually direct you to a phone number for this specific question.)

If there was no way to change the shipping address after placing an order, I at least would slightly understand why. What I don't understand is why Verizon does not ask you to confirm the shipping address before accepting the order. Is there some sort of benefit for them to not have addresses changed? I've never had this problem on literally any other delivery service. I also don't understand why their FAQ would state you can chat to a representative to have the problem fixed, but there doesn't seem to be a way for the chat to actually answer your question. Maybe it doesn't recognize that your order has been placed until after it's shipped, a sneaky way of getting around actually letting you change it. It's not a huge issue for me---my home address is only 30 minutes away---but I can understand why for people hours away from the address in their account, it might be extremely frustrating. I think seeing multiple other posts about this question, and Verizon's only response being to call (and I assume calling is not a guarantee that it'll work), shows the issue is wide-reaching and the placing order process incredibly confusing.

Anyway, let me just ask for the benefit of the doubt: is there ANY way to change your shipping address after placing an order? If the answer is no, just tell me that straight up.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Changing Shipping Address After Ordering
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure that you receive your new device at your current address. We sent you a Private Note so that we can help. - GregL_VZW

0 Likes
clicheanna

I'd like to add an update to this: they sent me a message asking if my device had shipped yet. I replied pretty quickly and told them it hadn't, according to the order details. I have still not received a response back and now I've gotten an email confirming my order has shipped, so I guess there's nothing I can do anymore. It seems like they don't really want anyone changing the shipping address, but for what reason, I don't know.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Clicheanna,

We always want to make sure that you receive your device at the correct address and on time. I understand how exciting this can be. I am glad that the device is on its way to you. Please let us know if there are any other concerns that you may have. 

0 Likes