new phone purchased from apple store and fully paid is locked
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am verizon customer with 4 lines for many years. Recently bought 2 iPhone 11 from apple store and were fully paid using apple credit card. Checked with Verizon customer service and they said that these 2 phones are locked. They say that these 2 phones can not be unlocked now and will automatically unlock after 30 days.

Any idea please why my these 2 phones locked even I bought directly from apple store and paid fully?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new phone purchased from apple store and fully paid is locked
GeneGJ77
Enthusiast - Level 1

hello I have purchased devices from verizon and the sim cards were never locked so I dont want know whats going on

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/device-locking-faqs/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much for reply.

I noticed following:

================

I'm bringing my own device to Verizon; does this impact me?

No, if you bring your own device to use with Verizon service, the device locking policy does not apply.

===============

Is it not similar to bring my own device if I buy from apple store?

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just talked to Verizon on phone and they mentioned that Verizon did not locked my 2 phones, instead apple did it and provided me apple support number. I called apple using that number and apple told me that they have nothing to do with lock and it is always done by carrier.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also see following in this link:

Beginning on 7/23/2019, devices purchased from Verizon are locked for 60 days from the date of purchase. 

I did not purchase my 2 devices from Verizon. I purchased from apple store. I am not sure if it is reasonable that Verizon trying to control my devices even they have absolutely no right on my devices excpet providing services for which I am paying.

Please feel free to share your views.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PawanGoyal wrote:

Also see following in this link:

Beginning on 7/23/2019, devices purchased from Verizon are locked for 60 days from the date of purchase. 

I did not purchase my 2 devices from Verizon. I purchased from apple store. I am not sure if it is reasonable that Verizon trying to control my devices even they have absolutely no right on my devices excpet providing services for which I am paying.

Please feel free to share your views.

You may have purchased them from the Apple store, but did you purchase the SIM free models or the models with the Verizon Wireless SIM card pre-installed? The pre-installed models are likely SIM locked as they are the same ones you would have purchased at a Verizon store. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your prompt help.

I upgraded my 2 devices on Verizon. I paid $40 + taxes for each device for activation. It means I am punsihed for upgrading my devices in Verizon and now Verizon got right to control my devices even they have actually no right on my devices.

From my thinking Verizon only has right on my devices as long as I have any payment for these devices pending. If I have paid everything for my device, then why they lock and especially do not unlock even after my requests.

Do you agree please?

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

@PawanGoyal wrote:

Thanks for your prompt help.

I upgraded my 2 devices on Verizon. I paid $40 + taxes for each device for activation. It means I am punsihed for upgrading my devices in Verizon and now Verizon got right to control my devices even they have actually no right on my devices.

From my thinking Verizon only has right on my devices as long as I have any payment for these devices pending. If I have paid everything for my device, then why they lock and especially do not unlock even after my requests.

Do you agree please?

If you upgraded your device through Verizon, (which you did) then you got a Verizon Sim card with your phone and the phone is locked for 60 days. The only way you avoid this is purchasing your phone as a Sim free model and paying for it in full and swapping your own Sim card from your old phone. 

If you had upgraded with to the Sim free version and paid in full you would have avoided the upgrade fee as well as the lock  

Weth
Legend

You should have purchased the SIM free phones from Apple.  You purchased a Verizon SIM phone, which gets an upgrade fee and is locked for 60 days. 

get SIM free, swap SIM, no upgrade fee, no lock period.  

rcschnoor
Legend

As has been posted previously on this thread, IF you purchase directly from Apple AND you get the model which comes with a Verizon SIM card, you will be charged an upgrade fee AND it will be SIM locked for a period of time.

I have been advising on this forum for several years that if you purchase an iPhone you should ALWAYS purchase the unlocked version without a SIM card. This way you would not be charged the $40 upgrade fee. You simply have to take the SIM card out of the old phone and insert it into the new phone prior to setting up the new phone. The last 5 iPhones I have purchased were done in this method, 2 x iPhone 6, 2 x iPhone 7 and an iPhone XR. All of these devices have performed flawlessly on Verizon and I have not paid an upgrade/activation fee on any of these devices.

IF you purchase a phone from Apple and it comes with a Verizon SIM, it is NOT the same as "bring your own device". Just as if you purchase a device from Best Buy or any other retailer which comes with a Verizon SIM card, it is the same as if you are purchasing the device from Verizon.