Call quality issues when phone switches between 5G and LTE
GirlGenius18

On my way home from work, I pass through an area that has known spotty coverage.  If I'm on a call, I tell the person "I'm near the dead zone!" and resume talking once I know I'm out.  However, I got an iPhone 13 Pro Max a few months ago, and I'm noticing that this "dead zone" has turned into a 10 minute back-and-forth between 5G and LTE.  

Each time my phone switches between 5G and LTE, the caller and I hear each other's voices breaking up.  This goes on for minutes!  I thought there was something wrong with my phone before I noticed the signal indicator changing on my CarPlay display.

I hate the idea of turning off the 5G Auto setting, since the 5G was such a big selling feature for both Apple and Verizon.  Has anyone had a similar experience and benefitted from switching back to LTE altogether, or just turning 5G On?

I guess I don't know if my phone is toggling between 5G and LTE because of truly spotty coverage, or if it's because my phone is trying its hardest to save battery life.  Either way, I'm tired of having half of my 20 minute drive being "Can you hear me now?"

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Call quality issues when phone switches between 5G and LTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GirlGenius18! 

We know how important it is to have great coverage, and we are here to help. I'm so sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing recently. Can you share your city, state, and closest intersection to the area where you are having trouble, so we can check your coverage? Do you know of any other Verizon customers who also have trouble in this area? 

-Michelle

0 Likes
GirlGenius18

The coverage issues are happening most in Jeannette, PA on SR-993, between the intersections of SR-993/66B and SR-993/Gongaware Rd.

I turned my phone back to 4G LTE for the time being, as it was switching on its own so frequently and call quality was suffering so much.  I'm experiencing better service with 4G LTE only in this area.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are seeing that Gongaware Rd features quite a few zones where there is No Service available due to the terrain blocking cellular service from reaching. While we are always working to improve services, your experience can be expected within this road. As you have already found out, our 4G towers have a further range to reach certain areas, and can be helpful to try and maximize services when far from our 5G towers or out of range due to other factors. If there is any additional information we can look into with you on this area, please let us know! We are always happy to assist in any way that we can!

*Robert

0 Likes
ElvisIsInTheBlg

I have an issue with 5g not being the great savior also.  It doesn’t work!!!  I didn’t know I could turn it off.  Thanks

0 Likes
doctorhey

I am having similar issues, too. It is reproducible. It's gotten to the point where I can't rely on my phone when I leave my home. Verizon's solution was to give me a range extender - which is nice, when I'm home. After sending an email to the VP of my region (Michigan) I was given a bit more extensive help than the generic (and quite frankly, poor) customer service one gets when calling. However, the network engineers determined everything is fine, and that there's nothing they can do because Verizon "leases towers from other companies" and therefore they're not responsible for garbage quality. The person who relayed that message from said engineers suggested that if I get enough people to complain maybe something can be done. And I joked "Do you want me to have a community BBQ for Verizon complaints?" At the end, they threw their hands up and offered to take my device back, release me from the remaining payments, and let me go elsewhere for service. It's good to know even Verizon's employees don't believe they can get better...

0 Likes
GirlGenius18

Good point, and I’ve got a few contacts with them as well.  I may be relocating within the year, but if I don’t, I’ll likely be switching carriers.  I used to work in third-party retail sales in the late ‘00s and the maps haven’t budged much where I live.

0 Likes