SPAM text messages!
RacerJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the past couple months, spam text messages have exploded on my phone.  I'm averaging 3 a day from random phone numbers and email accounts.  Blocking them individually does nothing.  What is Verizon doing to prevent these in the first place?  Friends with other providers claim that they do not have the same problems.  Please advise before I change providers.

Labels (1)
Re: SPAM text messages!
Jay414
Enthusiast - Level 1

3 a day only? After switching to Verizon I started receiving hundreds a day! They claim to have an option on their app and web page to allow you to block spam calls. This did not work for me. I got on the Do Not Call Registry and placed robokiller on my phone. After about a week it reduced my calls to maybe two or three a week. Verizon filter information or maybe even gives it away spam callers. This is done so that you buy Verizon spam blocker. Yeah, it's all a swindle.

RacerJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sheesh, and I thought things were bad with me!  I just reviewed the robokiller app and it looks like it's a decent product but disgusted that I would need to pay for something that my provider should have included in the first place.  

RacerJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI.  I had researched other similar posts and decided to send a PM to  vzw_customer_support.  They were quick to respond, however the vast majority of their "support" was geared towards getting me to pay for a subscription to try and combat this.  In my opinion, this is just another means to get into my pocket.  I can purchase an app to do basically what they are offering.  It also appears that every time someone forwards them a spam message to them, it's merely used to fortify their tool that they sell back to you.  Overall, could not be less satisfied and looks like time to jump ship to another provider.

dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can select that option to block text messages sent from e-mail, but it doesn't solve the problem because it blocks only messages sent to <your number> @ vtext.com. The spammers can still send them to <your number> @ vzwpix.com and it will go through as a multimedia text message. The check box doesn't stop that. 

I've tried to explain this to Verizon support, but they just claim not to understand and then disconnect me.

0 Likes
RacerJoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

It would be nice if I could start by blocking the @hotmail or @Outlook email spams.  The random phone number ones I feel are here to stay, because Verizon is selling a service to block these.  Why would they do it for free?

0 Likes