Unlocking policy is unfair
LizJo

Verizon's current unlocking policy makes it difficult for those who travel back and forth for work between the US and other countries. Basically the new phone will be no good for international use on another carrier till the 60 days are up.. Verizon staff do not communicate this policy change well to customers. One of my children travels back and forth between the US and another country. We have kept her US cell service going as when her contract expires she is likely to reside full time here. The last phone we purchased for her was an XR, prior to the policy being implemented. It was wonderful, she had the US number on the phone and the other country's number on the SIM card, and traveling back and forth was as easy as a switch in the settings. 

Well, we went and got her set up with a new iPhone about a week ago and guess what? She's due to go back to that other country in about 3 to 4 weeks, and the phone will be unusable with her local carrier for another month.

There is no exceptions to this policy other than military personnel. It does not matter if you are a long time customer, if you are in good standing, or anything else. There is a single appeal that as far as I know gets denied as a matter of policy. There is no escalation of the appeal.

We will have no choice but to purchase another phone for her to use for about a month of service in the other country. 

Thanks Verizon, we are looking at our options to transition away from your service in the next 6 to 12 months.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocking policy is unfair
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, LizJo. We certainly don't want to see you leave and I share your concerns about the unlock policy. I am happy to clarify and we appreciate your efforts in working with us to have the device unlocked. Per our FAQ, please note that our unlocking policies in regards to the 60-day requirement have been posted on our website since July 2019: https://www.verizon.com/about/privacy/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy 

Our FAQ is also here: https://www.verizon.com/support/device-locking-faqs/

-Lorenzo

0 Likes