Trade in value promised was not honored
MMWood
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was promised $800 trade in for my iPhone 11 when I pre-ordered iPhone 14 Pro in Verizon store. The ONLY reason I decided to upgrade now was because the gentleman who helped me ran the numbers so that I would know how my bill would be affected - $800 trade in  would result in $22 monthly credits for 36 months = $5 increase in my bill after monthly credits were applied. I was comfortable with this so I did it. Then my after receiving new phone and sending in old phone that was in great condition I was notified of trade in value of $400 /$11 monthly credits - HALF of the promised amount! I contacted Verizon via chat that was extremely frustrating and only resulted in receiving an 800 number for the trade in dept. I called that 800 number and was told I needed to go back to the store to speak to the person who originally helped me or his manager to try to get this resolved. I’m so disappointed and frustrated. I have been with Verizon since 1999 with 4 lines on latest 5G plan and Verizon internet. I expect much better customer support than this run around. It no longer feels like a simple mistake, it now feels like deception. Verizon please help resolve this and give me a reason to continue my loyalty. 

Labels (1)
Re: Trade in value promised was not honored
PatrickL
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m having my own troubles and have contacted and spoken with at least 5 different people including a manager without getting my issue resolved.  I even had the manager tell me it’s my fault then later admit it’s a know glitch preventing my trade in going through. 9 hours of calls and chats to be back to square one. This is not the first time and it happened in 2018 and in 2020. All tied to phone purchases and trade is. Never again.   FCC, BBB, and local congressman. Here I come.  

elhnet2000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the same problem. I have spent hours and hours of valuable time to get my trade in issue resolved. I actually went into the store and I was told there is nothing I can do, I need to call customer service. Customer service is useless.

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

Did you ever reach a resolution?  Did you submit complaints to any of the regulatory agencies?  

I have had endless trouble trying to get Verizon to follow through with their $2400 in trade-in credits they promised.   I wrote a post about it a few weeks ago and just updated my post with more details after another 3 plus hour attempt today to get a couple final issues resolved.   It really does feel like a pattern of behavior that could be described as a deceptive sales practice.

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/Trade-In-kits-not-recieved-FOUR-times-fin...

Here is a link to the FCC complaint form.  It’s super easy to fill out and should get a quick response.   Even more important - it could help those in the future from enduring what you and I and so many others have endured.   They use these complaints to look for patterns of behavior that that could be considered illegal rather than just a one-off “system error” or whatever other excuse Verizon makes for all the problems people are having with their trade ins:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@MMWood @elhnet2000 @PatrickL 

I also found this helpful information on Reddit for escalating these trade-in issues:

Avoid more endless waste of your time and patience, and get Verizon's attention with a Notice of Dispute and FCC and FTC and state consumer protection complaints (you can basically just rehash this post, though more polished, and paste the content into each complaint):

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/vz_notice_of...

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer

(Remember, it's cheap for them to waste your time with some low level "customer service" rep. But when your complaint takes up the time of their lawyers and regulatory people, then you're eating up actual money of theirs.)

That will escalate the issue to the right people.

And if that doesn't fix it and give you the opportunity to trade in your old device as agreed, then you can escalate it to a small claims court filing.

https://www.verizon.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/

0 Likes
MMWood
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the links to escalate my complaint. I will definitely follow through with FCC complaint.  

I did get some resolution but not all of what was promised when I initially did the pre-order and trade in. Apparently there was a "glitch" in the system that changed my phone plan and reduced the trade in value. But once that was fixed, my bill jumped up beyond what was discussed originally so the promised trade in value is negated by the jump in cost for the "correct" plan to receive $800 trade in. Of course no one could tell my why the glitch happened in the first place nor would they adjust to the full terms of the original pre-order/trade in process. Again it feels extremely deceptive. 

ApleofMyi
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MMWood I hope this isn't happing to everyone. I am sorry to learn it happened to you. We looked up our Verizon bill and we were told that my phone was good for the full $400 rebate Apple store also looked it up & said the same thing but they didn't have the I phone n stock & said verizon may be able to get it sooner. So as soon as it is confirmed as delivered to Verizon via the mail, in a box Verizon gave us, ready to place my galaxy S9 to send it in I will not know. My S9 was in like new condition and even the battery was still holding a very good charge. I only got the new i phone because  my doctor thought it would be helpful  to use the health tracking abilities it has. So I decided to get the Apple watch; this meant I had to get an Apple phone. So I have not seen the credit yet as it is tracked to arrive at Verizon tomorrow. However, the Verizon salesman who sold us the phone said since I was getting the Apple watch if i got the cellular model I would get $150 off the watch because of buying the new i phone pro at the same time from them. When we looked at our My Verizon account it was giving me a discount off per month but that amount totaled up to only giving me $119 not $150. When we asked about that they said it would take a few billing cycles to get that corrected.. Well i will have to see. I hope he is right and I hope they fix your billing. If a sales person tells you a price they should have to abide by that. We are putting our trust in the sales person to be honest. I would like to hope that this will be true, otherwise No one will have any trust in the salesman & customers will leave & join a new carrier. Verizon has been very trust worthy in the past, but posts like this makes one leery waiting to see what our Bill will  look like and if we will actually be treated fairly. For now all I can do is trust they will do right by their customers & hope they will honor your agreement as well.

0 Likes
Phuff1

I am having the same issue. I upgraded to a new plan because I was promised more money for my trade in. I upgraded to an iPhone 14 only because I was getting $400 trade in credit for my iPhone X. I didn't have the extra money because I am a teacher, but they told me that my phone would only devalue over time.  The first phone I ordered never showed up so they ordered another , and I confirmed the trade in value many times with at least 3 customer service reps. I have been on the phone many many hours. Now I received an email that my iPhone was worth $70 instead of $400 like I was quoted time after time. My family and I have been a customer since 2000. We have spent tons of money with Verizon.  I want answers now. Where is my trade in money for my iPhone X?  I want answers. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi, Phuff1. Thanks for contacting Verizon Social. I'll be delighted to assist you with any question or doubt you may have. Please, through Facebook or Twitter, for a personal assistance.

>Apollo

0 Likes
NoWun

I have the same issue.  I received a Verizon promo for an $800 credit/trade which  Verizon is refusing to honor. I've done both chat and called customer service several times in March,  all I got was excuses and promises that they could fix the problem by submitting tickets to the next level for resolution. The best excuse was it's a "manufacturer promotion not  Verizons". I  hold Verizon responsible for honoring this offer since it was Verizon who sent out the offer twice, with no promo expiration date.  Finally, I last spoke with a customer service tech that was trying to explain why they wouldn't honor the offer,  so I asked to elevate my  inquiry. I was put on hold and then hung up on after waiting for some time and never received a call back. I'm a Vet and have been a loyal Verizon customer for over 15 years and should not be treated like this, no Verizon customer should be treated like this. If it was  a mistake they should own up to it.  Fortunately I have a copy of chat session along with dates of phone calls,  and even names of techs I spoke with. I also have the original Verizon  promo. I've decided to follow jennk1's example and file formal complaints with the FCC, FTC, and  the  BBB.

0 Likes