Re: *228 not working - "The number or code you dialed is incorrect"
courtniemarie

I noticed that too re: AT&T and T-Mobile when you manually search for service.  For $300 I should be able to take my phone out of the box and use it, right?  Or at least have an explanation and reasonable timeframe in which the issue will be repaired. 

0 Likes
mcd5017

Not sure if this is the same issue you are having, but I received my 4s yesterday and couldn't activate the service.  I took it to the store and they said that Apple shipped them a batch of phones with the wrong software.  The phones they shipped are set up for the Vodafone network.  You can check if yours is set up for the Vodafone network if you go to settings and about or network, I can't remember.  Verizon kept my phone to return it to Apple and placed an order for another one.  Apparently the Apple store can re-configure the software if you make an appointment with them, but the one in my area stopped taking requests for this, so I have to wait until a new phone is shipped.

0 Likes
jjhuddle

I'm guessing Vodafone is 'vf nl 11.0' in the carrier. Great. Anyone else seeing this in settings->general->about ?

0 Likes
mcd5017

I'm not sure because I didn't look at it personally, but they did at the store.  Also, when I was switching the carrier mode to manual, At&T and T-Mobile were the only options that showed up.  I waited for over an hour in the store while they reset my upgrade date so I could re-purchase the phone.

0 Likes
dewolb

been having the same problems up here in Michigan.. The fact that I spent all day yesterday at multiple Verizon stores and on the phone with apple and Verizon numerous times to figure it out right here... Looks like I have a vodafone...  settings, general, network, cellular data network == a useless vodafone that I had to preorder. Unhappy to say the least.

0 Likes
johnnylove67

"You can check if yours is set up for the Vodafone network"

My phone says Vodafone too. It is still not working.

0 Likes
johnnylove67

UPDATE 10:19am est

Just got off the phone w local store manger.

Told me we should have been told to dial *288.

Told me batch was set up wrong from apple and to do a total reset fro the phone.

I'm doing it as I type. She said it may have to be done twice.

UPDATE 10:22am est

1st try didnt work doing reset #2 now

0 Likes
jjhuddle

I just got off the phone with tier-3 support at verizon, and they have a ticket in to the networking team now. I advised them about Vodafone, and they said that should not be the problem actually. I was told my ticket is going to the top, as I haven't been able to use the phone for 24 hours now. I was also told they should be calling me back by early this evening. I had excellent help from the tech team on tiers 2 & 3 today. Here's to hoping my phone is up and activated soon!!!

Please, if you call in, check on your carrier. Let them know that it is Vodafone so they look into that, because I think they pushed that off to the side when I said that.

This forum rocks, btw.

0 Likes
dewolb

just spoke with apple and she informed me that vodafone is software for a carrier in the netherlands.. she agrees this is the problem but has no solution.. attempting to set up an appt with the apple store now

0 Likes
mlaws9

I had this issue too. Verizon tech told me last night that they were working on it, and would call back by early this morning (which they didn't); Apple was similarly befuddled this a.m.

FINALLY I got someone knowledgeable on the line at Verizon customer support — I don't know her name, and really wish I'd asked, because she deserves some recognition. Sad. Anyway, here's the fix:

First off, back up whatever you've done with your iPhone 4S so far. iTunes, iCloud, whatever. Because you're going to have to wipe your phone.

1. Unplug the iPhone from computer/iTunes.

2. Go to Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings. Yes, this sucks, but it's why you've backed everything up. Thankfully iTunes is good about this.

3. ... Actually that's pretty much it. The phone will reset automatically, and the weird Vodafone problem should be resolved as well. Just walk through the setup steps again (slightly annoying, but whatever).

4. Make sure your old phone is powered off, then dial *228 and select option 1. This completes activation of the iPhone.

5. Reconnect phone to computer/iTunes and select Restore from Backup, or whatever. And voila, all your stuff should be there, just as you left it, but now with a working iPhone. Woohoo!

Hope this all works for you. Big-time relief.

- Mike

0 Likes