Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3G running very slow
mjphone

I am experiencing very slow 3g speeds in San Francisco. Download speeds ranging from 9kb/s to 68kb/s which is essentially useless.  Seems like it has been going on for a few days and may coincide with "upgrading" to ios7.  I am on a iphone4.  I normally like Verizon's coverage and service but this is terrible.  I have rebooted and reset the network connection, neither impact the speed.  Any suggestions? Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: 3G running very slow
hackerhog

Same thing is happening in Northwest Arkansas. I have an ESPN radio app that I listen to daily on my iphone 4S over 3G. Never have had any problems with it. Now it just sits there and buffers. Thought it may be the app, but that's not the case as I've tried 3 or 4 other apps and same thing. Just buffers. This has been going on since conveniently, the iphone 5S announcement. I'm not one who normally subscribes to conspiracy theories, but seems Verizon has turned down the juice on any 3G phone trying to get people to upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

hackerhog, thanks for these details. There's no consipiracy to get you to upgrade to a new device. We want you to have the best service regardless of what device that you're using. Let's take a closer look at your phone. I recommend that you delete the Internet history on your device in Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies, and Data. You will also need to reset the network on your device http://vz.to/12vq0FK and power it off/on to soft reset. I trust that these steps will improve the performance of your connection. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
montereyone

Phones rely on the very slow 1xRTT in areas where there is not an adequate or existing 3G signal. With some data devices it is possible to set them to 3G only and this will greatly improve performance in areas where the 1xRTT signal is stronger than the 3G signal. Most devices will pick the strongest signal and not the fastest connection. Your speeds are typical of those with a 1xRTT connection.

0 Likes