4s in Europe
benw3

I will be in Belgium and Holland on a river ship that has free wi-fi.  I want to be able to use my phone on board for email, etc. While off the ship I do not want data capability but I do want to be able to receive and respond to emergency phone calls (don't expect any!).  What do I need to do to give me these simple capabilities?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4s in Europe
AL_16

My 16 year old daughter just got back from a trip to Italy.  Prior to her leaving we called Verizon and they gave us instructions on how to disable the data plan and set up international calling on her iPhone 4S.  When my daughter arrived in Italy, in typical Verizon fashion, international calling did not work.  When we called Verizon to find out why, they stated that they needed the SIM card number.  Our advance planning failed due to Verizon's incompetence leaving us with no way to contact our daughter to get the code.  Moral of the story is while it is fairly straightforward to set up an iPhone to work in Europe, do your own research and speak to multiple Verizion agents to insure you get the correct information.  Once you are in Europe with a non-working phone or once you have racked up massive data charges it is too late.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

This is for international travel not specific to cruise ships. You may want to find out from your cruise ship what their charges are.

1. Take out SIM card to find 3 rows of numbers. Call Verizon's global customer service number to activate your SIM card, if you've never done that. Tell the rep to enable international dialing on your number.

2. Add global value calling plan, if you wish. For $4.99, your calls will be billed at a lower rate. Text message charges remain the same.

3. Since you are only using data via Wi-Fi, you won't need to add the global data plan of $25/100 MB. But be sure to turn off your cellular data connection before you leave the U.S., or you will be billed $20.48/MB.

4. Before leaving the U.S., dial *228 option 2.

5. If for some reason you are unable to call out when you reach your destination, you can call Verizon global services free from a landline. Here are instructions.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/support.html

I also had my phone unlocked by Verizon, just in case I run into difficulty using it and need to pop in a local SIM card.

Enjoy your trip!

benw3

Thanks for giving very simple advice. I had no problems!

0 Likes