Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
APPLE = JUNK
terrencew13

When is verizon going to get apples #*($ out of their @#$?  They have recently skipped over several good droid and windows based phones because of whats popular to the ill-informed masses of people out there.   Instead of propogating useless technology, why not spread your wings out there and get decent phones?  If at&t had better coverage in my area i would switch in a heartbeat just to get my hands on a new nokia with windows.  Much smoother, more customizable and all around BETTER phone.  Or the galaxy s2 would have been a great phone too, instead of that nexus junk plastic thing.  Now the s3 is out and im not sure if verizon is going to pick that one up either.  Samsung and nokia make the BEST phones in the world, its about time verizon started selling those phones.  People are starting to realize that apple just doesnt meet the hype. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: APPLE = JUNK
kaebfly
Leader

Although Apple obviously isn't your cup of tea there are milions of genuinely happy users out there that don't agree with you. Unfortunately, there are plenty of times that one carrier doesn't carry what others do...so then the customer has to decide if switching just to get that device is worth it (which based on your comments doesn't seem to be the case) or waiting and hoping that something they want comes alone. You're entitled to your disdain over Apple products, but no matter how deeply you feel on the matter the truth is pretty clear. Apple meets the needs of those that enjoy it...that doesn't make them "ill-informed masses"...it makes them consumers that are happy with their choices. Not everyone has the undying desire for "more customization"...some people do. Some people don't need or want some of the great options that Android devices or Windows devices...actually, there are still people in the world that don't even need or want the benefits of an iPhone or any other smartphone. At  any rate, I hope you find what you need to meet your needs/wants...and if that's not with VZW then hopefully you can get it with AT&T and get great service...one day. Or maybe Sprint has something that would fit your needs AND has great service in your area.

terrencew13

Its not that apple isnt "my cup of tea", its more of apple propagates falsehoods in order to move their company forward.  They tell people one day that you dont "need" functionality, then the next day they release a new product touting the features that they had previously said were unnecessary, and on top of that their products are dated, and inflated is an understatement when describing pricing for apple products.  Apple locks you into THEIR  software, THEIR overpriced accessories and THEIR lack of functionality all at a premium price.  You say that people are happy with iproducts?  Its a false reality. Its a lack of choices combined with clever marketing to appeal to the people who believe what they see on televesion.  Do you think its any coincidence that Verizon doesnt sell any one of the truly competitive phones out there?   Think about it, if your trying to sell a product and company X says if you sell more of mine I will give you a big kickback, why would you want to sell any of the real competition?  If verizon would carry the phones that people really want, I dont think Apple would be selling as many iphones as they have been.  Every apple iphone user that I have shown a new windows phone to has switched immediately.  Yet verizon only sells the Trophy?  At&t has the right idea and they are selling new nokias like hotcakes because they truly WORK.  Come on verizon.  Apple is crumbling as more and more people realize Apple isnt who they said they were. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Leader

Not sure how long you have been a customer of VZW but there have always been complaints about VZW not getting the devices that many wanted them to get....long before Apple was ever a product that they carried. There is not a single US provider that carries every single phone available....so on some level, they all have customers that are unhappy about something that they want but can't get. AT&T used to push the iPhone more than any other device because at the time, they were the exclusive provider of it in the US. That changed shortly after it was announced that VZW would also be carrying the iPhone.

As far as judging why others that choose to use the iPhone and actually enjoy it...honestly, how can YOU decide that these people are in some sort of false reality? Someone could easily say you're just a bitter consumer so all of your views and judgements of anyone that likes what you obviously don't are an inflated sense of superior thinking. Seriously, if you don't like Apple or any of their products you have that right. No one is bashing you by basically saying you're too stupid to see the light (in layman term, that is exactly what you are implying about anyone that likes Apple products) yet for some strange reason you feel like you have some amazing insight and undeniable ability to see only one truth. Newsflash...the reality of it all is that none of us NEED a single feature that any of these smartphones offer. Absolutely no one. You are just as much a sheep as anyone else that feels like their life would cease to exist if they didn't have everything that you seem to think Apple doesn't give you (and Verizon limits you from because they don't offer the devices you feel they should). All of these things are conveniences that many of us have allowed ourselves to think that we need. Before 4G existed...did you need it? Before text messaging did you need it? How about the internet? SUV's? HD TV? Wireless Hotspots? No...you never NEEDED it. Yes, these are great advances in technology that without a doubt have enhanced our lives to some degree, but life would have continues without it. Remember when a phone was just a phone?

BTW....newsflash...every for-profit company that markets is doing the same thing. Marketing is intended to tell the consumer that you really need the product or service being advertised. They are  not doing this as a service to the consumer because they dream to make the world a better place for every one. They are doing this in order to sell products and move their company forward. And when the same company improves upon their product they will advertise that you need the newer, greater product. The competitors will in turn market to you and tell you that you actually really need THEIR product because it can give you more of what you really need. "Best" is in the mind of the individual. In reality, there is no universal "best"...if there were then they would not constantly update/retweek/rework/etc because once the "best" is achieved it would be the end. It's what works best for the individual and their wants/needs. If YOU are that unhappy with VZW and the device choices available you do have options. Like you again pointed out...there are providers that offer exactly what you want (as far as devices). If your feelings are truly that strong then you can switch. You also have options if you switch to a provider that offers less than stellar coverage for you. Those options may not be very convenient (like the network extender option), but the option exist. But to put down those that actually are very happy with their choice (referring to Apple users) has absolutely nothing to do with you not being happy with the selection VZW currently has available. FYI, despite being an iPhone user right now I am not one that believes the iPhone is the "best" by any means. It works for me. It fits my needs. If something else comes along and I decide I really want it then I'll get it. Then again, I'm one of those people that actually rate my ability to use my phone as a phone more important than any of the other features it carries. Apple didn't market that to me...I have always felt that way. Maybe because when it really matter I want to be able to make a phone call that can save my life if I am in a situation that requires it more than I care about being able to use widgets or have lightening speed internet or anything else. But to each their own. Again, good luck with getting the "best" device that you desire. Since you know what the best is and you know where it is all you have to do is make the move to get it. It may cost you in another area but sometimes that's a choice you have to make.

0 Likes
terrencew13

Well if you are truly interested in my qualifications for recommending technology (not just phones) to people based on cost, use, lifespan, service and support, and so on, well those qualifications would be based on my 15 or so years in the IT industry.  I cover 13 counties in southern illinois for all manner of technology.  From networking, to remote surveillance systems, from custom built computers to bringing the lowest possible print costs to any business that I take on as a customer.  So when it comes to cost for value, it is my job to make sure people get the most bang for their buck.   As far as "best" is concerned, "best" is period based.  What was Best 3 years ago has long since been bested.  When I used the word best in my original post, I mean that they were the best of this time, as in better than others but soon to be bested.  Hope that clears things up.

This post started out as just a little vent hoping that a verizon rep would maybe see it and maybe some other people would comment on it in a more enlightening manner to get some attention, but I can see by your post that you do not see apple for what it is, like so may others.  Does it not matter that the company you buy products from blatantly lies to you?  Does it not matter that the phone that you now carry has a retail price of 650 bucks and after doing a comparison to other phones even the low end LG lucid has more power and features than an iphone, and its half the cost?  Same thing for their computers and laptops!  Overpriced and behind the times.  And no I never said people were "stupid" I said that they are "ill-informed"  those terms have entirely different definitions, and furthermore I only try to educate people and let them know that there are other options available.  My point isnt that I should dictate who uses what phone, or how, or why.  My point is that if people actually researched the products they were buying and maybe had more options then perhaps they would realize they could get more for less.  Its pretty sad that apple has relied on dodgy lawsuits to prevent the sale of competitive devices all over the world, and companies like samsung STILL have as much of the market as apple.  Imagine if the competition was able to sell in those banned markets, where would apple be then?  You mentioned improving on technology as it grows, however apple prohibits new tech from being created by trying to do such silly things as patenting a shape.  For crying out loud, thats like Ford suing GM for selling a car with 4 wheels.    And a little bit more info for ya, its humorous that apple sues samsung left and right, then turns around and hires them to build the screen for the ipad 3.  What kind of company is this?!?

As far as myself, verizon has the market in this area for coverage, so of course because of my field of work, I need reliable service, which for the most part verizon has covered which leaves me out for switching to another provider.  I simply wish they would give myself, and others the options for tier 1 phones instead of aimlessly pushing the iphone, with second rate droid phones following suit, and no windows phone options. 

Mark my words, Apples mighty empire of lies will crumble, its already happening. Just read.  Knowledge is power.

0 Likes
kvndugan

This is the worst kind of fanboyism: reverse-fanboyism. The belief that one company is evil and should be wiped off the face of the earth just because you don't like them.

I've had an iPhone and an Android phone, though unfortunately I've had little experience with Windows Phone or BlackBerry. Both operating systems have different strengths and weaknesses. In the end, the consumer decides which phone they want, and that is a good thing for the market. Accept that not everybody wants an Android or Windows Phone device, be happy with the fact that YOU get to choose whatever device you want, and move along with your life.

Now I won't get into which OS I prefer because that's inconsequential, but you made a couple blatant untruths that really should be corrected:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you decry Apple for locking people into their phones at a premium price - the iPhone starts at $100, $200 for the latest model. These prices are in line with or below the competition.

Verizon doesn't get the best phones? You realize the Galaxy Nexus is Google's flagship, right? You complain about how "plastic" it is - do you understand that ALL of Samsung's phones are built with plastic? The SII included? And Verizon is getting the SIII, expect it sometime in the summer.

And just on a general note; when exactly was the last time you saw a commercial for the Verizon iPhone? Because I haven't seen one in a very long time. All of the iPhone advertising comes from Apple, not Verizon. Verizon's ads are focused on the size of its 4G LTE network, and products like the Motorola Droid Razr and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. So, really, you seem to be upset not that Verizon is focusing on the iPhone (which would be ridiculous, because it isn't) but instead that Verizon even OFFERS the iPhone to its customers. You seem to want the iPhone removed from Verizon's lineup.

Unfortunately, that won't make the other phones any more or less appealing. It'll change absolutely nothing except offer less choice to the consumer, and THAT is why your position is idiotic.

0 Likes
terrencew13

I have made NO incorrect points, and I am NO fanboy.  I see products for what they are through analysis, comparison, and functionality.  This is the way I have always done things because it is logical. I always tell people "if apple ever releases a good product, I will recommend it"

When quoting the price for the iphone I was quoting RETAIL pricing which can be found on verizons website (which I stated in my previous post).  The price you are quoting is considering the 2 year contract.  Which if you were to consider that, the lucid, drops down to around $80, which puts the iphone far from in line, or lower than the competition when comparing specifications.  So get your facts before you flame me. 

Secondly the nexus was a flop.  Even Verizons sales reps will tell you that.  The S2 is a far superior phone.  I have several friends who work for verizon and the nexus was hyped up to be much more than it turned out to be.  By "plastic" I meant cheaply built ( I suppose I should have been more clear on this, as obviously most phones are made from a composite of several materials, including plastic ) and as far as advertising go, you make a great point!  Verizon is advertising 4g LTE - which the iphone currently does not support, yet their pricing is as high as a 4g phone.  That, sir, is what is ridiculous.  Overcharged and undervalued, tis the apple way.  Do some research.  Also, when customer x goes into a verizon store and asks for a phone, 9 times out of 10 the rep immediately pushes the Iphone, why?  THEY ARE TOLD TO!  So verizon may not be shoving through your television screen, they do use it as a go to phone for everyone.  Instead of asking what peoples needs are, and breaking it down to their specific needs. 

Furthermore, it isnt clear if Verizon is going to carry the s3, as of 2 days ago, samsung still hasnt declared any carriers, although that may have changed by now.  And as far as my "position" goes, its far from idiotic, it is informed and any statement I have made, I can prove.  What can you prove?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

verizon focuses on the network, not the devices. they always have and it appears that they always will (for the foreseeable future anyway). android has been their bread and butter. they said they would get windows8 devices, but you'll have to wait on that. i can't blame them. why try to break in new windows devices, when an entirely new and better OS will be available soon? i'm no fan of apple, but they produce a solid product. if you've been with verizon for any length of time, then you already know that they typically trail other carriers in the "latest and greatest." so you can get a nicer device that may work when you need it to, or a device that may not have the most recent specs, but will always work when you need it to. i prefer the latter. i can deal with slightly lesser devices, or similar ones that come out months later, if it means i can get a signal in the middle of nowhere. i used to make fun of my friends when we would go golfing because they all had their new iphones and would ask me to borrow my envy touch to make a call from the course(this was a few years back). sure.....they had the latest and greatest device......and i had one that you could actually make a phone call on.

0 Likes
kvndugan

If you honestly believe that none of Apple’s products are good, then yes, you are a fanboy. Apple makes good products. Samsung makes good products. Motorola makes good products. Asus makes good products. Nokia makes good products. Anyone who isn’t hellbent on railing against a certain company or OS can see that there are good devices, services, and operating systems on every side of this market.

Now lets look at some unsubsidized, factory-fresh prices:

Droid Razr Maxx: $650

Galaxy Nexus: $650

iPhone 4S 16GB: $650

These phones are the latest models put out by their respective manufacturers. Correct me if I’m wrong on this. Notice anything? Like how their prices are exactly the same? These off-contract prices honestly don’t matter much to the average consumer who only upgrades when the contract is up, but since you dodged my legitimate point about the on-contract prices being the same, there you go.

Yes, the Lucid is $80 on-contract. That’s great! It’s a great phone. But so is the iPhone 4, which is available on-contract for $20 more. Some people will take the Lucid, some will take the iPhone. The choice is theirs. The Lucid has 4G LTE, a larger screen, and beefier internals; the iPhone 4 runs a simpler OS with a higher-resolution screen and the full support of the iOS ecosystem. It’s a personal choice, I’d say those phones are about neck-and-neck.

The Nexus being a “flop” doesn’t matter when we’re discussing phone quality. The Galaxy Nexus is a superior phone. That’s simply the end of that discussion. It came out after, has more powerful specs, a larger screen, 4G LTE, and runs native vanilla Android 4.0. That’s the end of that discussion. The build quality is on par with the SII because Samsung uses the same materials to do it. I’ve spent extensive amount of time with both handsets, and the only thing better on the SII is the camera.

Apple’s iPhone 4S starts at $200, which is the price point they’ve offered their phones at since the iPhone 3G in 2008. If other companies are selling their 4G phones for the same price as Apple is, that’s their decision. Apple’s been selling phones at the same price point for 4 years now. And in fact, many HAVE decided to charge more. The Galaxy Nexus started at $300, though it’s now down to $200; and the Razr Maxx started at $300 as well, where according to the Verizon Wireless website, it remains. So there’s that “research” you wanted me to do.

Your groundless conspiracy theory about Verizon employees being paid more to push the iPhone is complete nonsense. I can say from personal experience in two local Verizon stores that reps usually direct people towards the 4G LTE phones, as again, that’s Verizon’s main selling point right now: the largest LTE coverage in the nation. But hey, you don’t have to believe me, here’s an article from GottaBeMobile that echoes my story:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05/04/verizon-employees-pushing-android-over-outdated-iphone/

And if you kept up with the mobile industry’s latest news you’d know that Verizon - according to reliable leaked roadmaps - is going to release several great phones later in the year, such as a Galaxy SIII variant running on LTE and an HTC phone similar in size to the Galaxy Note.

I appreciate you SAYING that you can “prove” your position, but from what I’ve seen, you can’t. I hope venting here has been therapeutic for you, but at the end of the day, it's really just ranting. People will choose the phone that they want. If people want iPhones, you don’t get to attack them for that. Different strokes for different folks.