Re: ASURION INSURANCE--- 9$. What does it cover
jwdunning
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took the 1.99 extended warranty.  10 bucks a month for insurance is way too much esp when its paired with an outrageous deductible.

0 Likes
brichi
Contributor - Level 1

I dont get the $1.99 plan either, Apple will already cover that for 1 year whether you get it from Verizon or Apple.

I bought my wifes iphone at Best Buy a year ago and went to Apple when I had an issue with it rebooting because the BB geek squad are morons, they swapped the phone out with no issues or questions asked

0 Likes
mattparmely
Contributor - Level 2

Im canceling and going to squaretrade. They added their Verizon Iphones on there. 2 years for 100 bucks is by far worth it with only 50 dollars deductable.

0 Likes
black743
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, if you walk into an Apple store with a broken phone, the replacement cost is $199....so why pay for insurance you may not need and ultimately end up paying that amount anyway, when you could just spend the $199 only if you need it?

0 Likes
dminer123

No doubt it's expensive and the deductible is high, but buying an Iphone 4 with no contract will run around $600 or so on Ebay. I've had insurance on other phones, and it's saved my butt twice (lost phones, replaced with new ones), so I don't mind paying the premium for the peace of mind, especially since it doesn't make a big dent in my budget.

Keep in mind that AppleCare and SquareTrade DO NOT cover against lost or stolen devices; that's the main reason I get insurance, to protect against loss or theft.

0 Likes
black743
Contributor - Level 1

dminer123 wrote:

No doubt it's expensive and the deductible is high, but buying an Iphone 4 with no contract will run around $600 or so on Ebay. I've had insurance on other phones, and it's saved my butt twice (lost phones, replaced with new ones), so I don't mind paying the premium for the peace of mind, especially since it doesn't make a big dent in my budget.

Again, why pay ten bucks a month to have a $199 deductable, when the Apple store will replace a broken phone (even out of warranty) for $199....that's Apple's replacement cost if you bring in a smashed phone.

0 Likes
dminer123

black743 wrote:

dminer123 wrote:

Again, why pay ten bucks a month to have a $199 deductable, when the Apple store will replace a broken phone (even out of warranty) for $199....that's Apple's replacement cost if you bring in a smashed phone.

As mentioned in my revised reply, it's to protect against loss or theft (which has happened to me twice before).  If your iPhone is lost or stolen, you can't walk into an Apple Store and get a new phone for $199.  You have to pay the full, non-contract price to replace the phone, not $199.  BTW, my deductible is lower because I got the 16G model.

I agree with you in one sense, in that I would NOT get the insurance if I were only concerned about breakdown issues with the iPhone.  The standard one year warranty would be sufficient.  However, I am trying to protect against loss or theft, and Asurion is the only option available from Verizon that protects against such issues without having to pay the FULL non-contract, retail price for a new iPhone.

0 Likes
black743
Contributor - Level 1

Point well taken....if you lost it then yes that would be your only option.  However, I think I would be more likely to lose my arm...lol.

Incidentally, you can get mobile me for free I think to track your phone if you lose it....as long as its powered on.

0 Likes
ginibaldi

black743 wrote:

dminer123 wrote:

So I'm assuming Apple will replace the 32gb for $299? or is it a standard $199 no matter which phone?

0 Likes
Adriii
Enthusiast - Level 2

They charge you another $170 and then send you a used (and likely) defective phone.  Just look up "Asurion Class Action" on Google and you'll see what I had to go through yesterday.  It's not worth it. 

0 Likes