About Switching from Basic Phone to iPhone 4S . . .
Airavine

So, I'm under a 2-year contract, but it doesn't end until the spring of 2015. I got a used iPhone 4S early Christmas gift. I know I have to pay for the full retail price of the phone if you switch before my contract ends and I know that if the phone is originally from any other carrier like AT&T, it will not be compatible with Verizon services. I just don't know if, what if, the phone was originally from Verizon and it's not connected to any phone number, how much would I have to pay? Do I really have to pay for the full price of the phone, even if I already have it physically in my hand?

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: About Switching from Basic Phone to iPhone 4S . . .
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as the phone is Verizon branded with a clean ESN, you can put it on your line with no charge, other than adding a data plan.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as the phone is Verizon branded with a clean ESN, you can put it on your line with no charge, other than adding a data plan.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do

0 Likes
Airavine

Oh yeah, that's another thing I need to ask. Can I change to the phone without having a data plan? If I can't, it's fine to have a data plan. I would have a shared data plan anyway.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smartphones require a data plan.  If you're on the Share Everything plan (which you imply that you are), your phone access fee would increase from $30 to $40.  You also may want to revisit the shared data pool on your account; it may need to be increased since you're adding a smartphone to the plan (that, of course, would depend on everyone's data usage that's on your plan, plus your anticipated usage).

0 Likes
Airavine

I see. Well, thank you! That answers all my questions. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome; good luck

0 Likes
HonnyBrown
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, you don't have to pay for the phone, just activate it.

I bought a used iPhone in the middle of my contract.  I activated with Verizon with no problem, downloaded my contacts from My Backup Assistant, and the phone now appears under My Verizon, so I can get support for it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HonnyBrown,

You’ve provided great information! Thank you. Just wanted to reiterate, there is no fee to activate a phone obtained by a 3rd party purchase, family/friend, gift or purchased at full retail. As long as the phone is a Verizon Wireless phone and not currently active on a different account or reported as lost, there will be no problem activating it. There is no fee to activate such phone and the early termination fee does not apply to this case since the line would still be active with us; it only applies if the line is canceled before the contract end date.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes