Any need for VZW warranty if I have AppleCare+
huggies

Hi all,

Have already ordered iPhone 4S, to be delivered tomorrow. We will be looking at joining a family member's other account through Assumption of Liability (AOL). What I've heard is that since I've already ordered, likely when I join another account I will lose my VZW warranty.

HOWEVER, if I was already going to be getting AppleCare+, is there any reason I'd ever NEED/WANT the VZW warranty? Essentially, is there any point to it if we have Apple Care +

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any need for VZW warranty if I have AppleCare+
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2

Apple care+ does cover accidental damage. Your allowed 2 phone replacements in a 2 year period. Apple care+ can be bought by calling 1-800-my-apple. It`s $99.00 for 2 years of coverage with a $49.00 deductable if your device needs to be replaced. Asurion offered through vzw is $10.99 a month and there is a $169.00 deductible for a 16 gb and $199.00 for a 32 gb iphone. You do the math as to which is a better deal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

AppleCare+ (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't cover lost or stolen devices. VZW warranty (if correct one is chosen) does. That might be a reason someone would prefer the VZW insurance versus the AppleCare+.

0 Likes
huggies
Do you mean one of the insurance plans you pay extra for or is there a default vzw warranty covering lost phones tha all customers have? I didn't pay for any extra insurance plans through vzw. Would I still have something to lose through an aol if I have AppleCare ? Thank you!
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

huggies wrote:
Do you mean one of the insurance plans you pay extra for or is there a default vzw warranty covering lost phones tha all customers have? I didn't pay for any extra insurance plans through vzw. Would I still have something to lose through an aol if I have AppleCare ? Thank you!

Yes, an insurance plan through VZW that you pay extra for monthly (not the basic manufacturer's warranty). If you have AppleCare it would extend your manufacturer's warranty to 2 years and also give you 2 years access to Apple Support via telephone (without AppleCare you only have 90 days phone support). Having that wouldn't hurt you if you have an issue that is covered during that 2 years. It would NOT cover loss or theft or acccidental damage to the device. The insurance plan through VZW would cover those things but had to be purchased within 30 days of activation. Sometimes, Assurance will send out emails offering open enrollment (or you can check with them to see if and when they will offer it) but that's not guaranteed.

0 Likes
africanhut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey everyone, I have my 4S coming next week and was wondering how you go about getting Apple Care?? I have the paid insurance thru VWZ but would like that extra year of warranty if it isn't too expensive. Guess I could Google it but if you have any information on who to apply, it would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Can you keep iCloud and Siri turned off all the time?
africanhut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all, supposed to receive my phone this week and have read the online manual from cover to cover at least 3 times so I know what questions to ask when I take it into the store to have it activated. I am still confused about iCloud and Siri. I know what Siri is but am not sure about the Cloud.

It seems (the Cloud that is) like something that I don't want to mess with at this stage in my learning of the phone. The manual never really says anything about shutting it off. Is there a way to disable it so it is not running all the time or at all preferably? I won't have a ton of contacts and reminders and such that will use up memory so it really doesn't seem something that I need. If anyone knows how to keep it disabled, I'd appreciate knowing how.

Basically, it is the same with Siri, it is a lot more likely that I will use that service evenutally but I need to learn other things about the phone first (this is my first smartphone by the way). Is there a way to disable this or is it something that is always availalble if you want to use it? Seems like these two apps would use battery life and the Cloud would use data as well as it is checking for alerts to all your other apps. I have no other apple products that I need to sync too.

Any information you can offer would be a great help to me and thanks in advance,\

Mike

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

africanhut wrote:

Hey everyone, I have my 4S coming next week and was wondering how you go about getting Apple Care?? I have the paid insurance thru VWZ but would like that extra year of warranty if it isn't too expensive. Guess I could Google it but if you have any information on who to apply, it would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can call or visit an Apple store to get AppleCare+. Look at the following link for more info. http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html Please note that an exception was made for those that pre-ordered their iPhone 4s or orders made during a certain timeframe to still be able to purchase AppleCare+ (the rule was made that it had to be purchased at the same time you purchased a new device but thi wasn't possible because it was not available at the time). I believe the time is until some point in November, but you can contact Apple to find out for sure (or search the Apple site or Google for the info).

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2

Apple care+ does cover accidental damage. Your allowed 2 phone replacements in a 2 year period. Apple care+ can be bought by calling 1-800-my-apple. It`s $99.00 for 2 years of coverage with a $49.00 deductable if your device needs to be replaced. Asurion offered through vzw is $10.99 a month and there is a $169.00 deductible for a 16 gb and $199.00 for a 32 gb iphone. You do the math as to which is a better deal.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

galaxie500fb wrote:

Right...AppleCare+ does cover accidental damage, but AppleCare does not (although AppleCare may be irrelevant as I'm not sure if you can still choose this option over the new AppleCare+)

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Not sure if covered lost accident insurance is for the life of the phone as long as u keep paying 4 it add $1.99 u can add extended warranty for the life. For $9.99 total. I have friends who have both just in case. If u need to replace with Apple it isent as simple then Verizon but on the other hand apple u might need to talk to them.
0 Likes