Any suggestions about which global service is best while traveling to Jamaica
forrestnotatree

Traveling to Montego Bay would like to know which global service works best in Jamaica

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Any suggestions about which global service is best while traveling to Jamaica
MankatoMN12
Contributor - Level 2

Pay by use for Voice and Texting, 100MB package for $25.00 for data or just use wifi for unlimited data

0 Likes
Re: Any suggestions about which global service is best while traveling to Jamaica
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Since Jamaica is CDMA, your phone will work. All you would need to do is call customer service to enable international dialing if you haven't already.

Last time I went to Jamaica, I turned off my data and used Wi-Fi in the resort lobby if I needed to check anything. You can get 100MB of data for $25, but I chose not to. Calls were $1.99/minute, and texts were 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive (25 cents to receive picture messages).

Whatever you do, don't use data on a pay-per-use basis ... it's $20.48/MB.

Have a great trip!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi forrestnotatree,

Jamaica sounds great! I hope your time is wonderful there. Thanks to the community for providing some information for you. I'd like to clarify the details and the rates for use of your service while in Jamaica.

SydneyK is correct; your phone will work while in Jamaica. The dialing pattern to call back to the US is 1 Area Code 7-digit number. The pattern to dial locally in Jamaica is 876 7-digit number. Below are the rates.

-Voice calls $1.99 per minute
-Text messages $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive
-Picture messages are billed according to your messaging plan (so, if you have unlimited messaging, picture/video messages are unlimited in Jamaica)
-Global Data $25.00 for each 100 MBs used

Please know that these rates are for Jamaica, and vary per country. Please refer to http://www.verizonwireless.com/international for information on rates for other countries.

Thanks and have a safe trip!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kukla

Can someone confirm if this information is still current?
I am in the exact same situation! A week in Jamaica sounds great, but I don't want to get clobbered by a cellphone bill.

Do you have to sign up for this package in advance?

Does my "share" plan work the same way? (ie: can I use my phone or my tablet for this plan?)

Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@kukla

I want you to be able to enjoy your stay in Jamaica, and not have to worry about unexpected charges!  Here's a great tool for seeing our current international rates and plans: http://bit.ly/OFyn7n.  Keep in mind, the new Share Everything plan will not change the international rates or billing.  And yes, you will need to make any changes to your account required for international services prior to leaving the U.S. and Verizon Wireless coverage area.  Enjoy your stay in Jamaica!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes