Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Being Charged For Global Roaming when Data Roaming was Turned OFF
GamjawanG

I recently received my bill to discover that I have an abnormally high usage charge. Upon further investigation, I had found that I had been charged on one of my accounts for Global Roaming.  Here is some background information:

My wife and I have a shared usage plan, and about a month ago, went to Jamaica for vacation.  Both of our phones were the iPhone 4, and before arriving in Jamaica, I had turned both the Voice Roaming and Data Roaming Off on both of our phones.  The only times we actually used our phones were when we were using the hotel's wifi, and even then we barely used the phone at all.  We were fully aware of the fact that we needed to turn the Voice and Data Roaming Off when traveling overseas, for this was not the first time we had done so, and we've never had problems before.

Fast-forward to present times, and now, once we received our bill, what was somewhat strange is the fact that only my wife's phone was charged for Global Roaming, and not my phone, which didn't make any sense at all, seeing that the only person who actually modified any settings on the both of the phones was myself.  I even made sure several times, and I am 100% positive that both Voice and Data Roaming were turned Off.

I have been a long time customer of Verizon, and I do consider myself tech savvy.  I want to know if there is a way to dispute these charges, and if so, what would be the best way to do so?  Any help, advice, or information would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Being Charged For Global Roaming when Data Roaming was Turned OFF
Not applicable

Hello GamjawanG,

I hope that you and your wife were able to enjoy your trip. Depending on the applications and settings selected for the iPhone's will depend on the way the phone selects to search for connection. While travelling in CDMA countries you want to make sure to turn Data OFF to avoid the phone picking up any data connections. While turning Data Roaming OFF is good, it won't stop everything from working.

Thank you,

MariaC_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes