Can I Cancel My Current Family Plan Line, and Pre-Order on the 3rd Under a New Account?
TC728

I am currently still attached to a family plan that I have been a member of for several years. My phone line on the family plan has been eligible for an upgrade for a few months now, however I would like to cancel that line and use the iPhone as an opportunity to create my own account since I have recently relocated and would like a new local phone number. 

Will I have the ability to pre-order on the 3rd as an existing customer, and create a new account, or will I only be eligible to pre-order to upgrade my current phone line? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I Cancel My Current Family Plan Line, and Pre-Order on the 3rd Under a New Account?
kSo9204
Contributor - Level 2

I am glad to hear that you are interested in purchasing the iPhone. Currently, February 3rd is the Pre-Order date for existing customers'. February 10th would be the date for new customers' to purchase the device. Here is a link to additional iPhone FAQ's :

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

I would recommend placing the pre-order under your existing line on February 3rd. Once you receive the device and activate it, you can then complete what is called an Assumption of Liability, where you will take over financial responsibility for the line. The account will be placed under your name, address, and social security number and you will be provided with your own, new account number. You can then change your number to a new number which will work better for the area you are in.

0 Likes
Re: Can I Cancel My Current Family Plan Line, and Pre-Order on the 3rd Under a New Account?
Loco-Raider

Yeah...Don't do an assumption of liability. Once you do an AOL your warranty is voided. Just cancel your line and then pre-order.

In short. If you by an iPhone, then transfer to your own acct via AOL, you will have no warranty through VZW.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Loco-Raider wrote:

Yeah...Don't do an assumption of liability. Once you do an AOL your warranty is voided. Just cancel your line and then pre-order.

In short. If you by an iPhone, then transfer to your own acct via AOL, you will have no warranty through VZW.

The warranty would still be active. If you buy a phone from a third party (Ebay, Craigslist....) you lose your Verizon warranty. If you do an AOL on a device Verizon sees was just transferred off a current VZW account will not void the warranty.

0 Likes
Complete your Assumption of Liability BEFORE you even order a new phone
marthagp

I can say with 100 percent certainty that you should not even order an iPhone until you have already completed an Assumption of Liability and started your own plan. I was told the wrong information by both a Verizon employee in a store and a Verizon employee over the phone. I was screwed out of my 1 year warrenty by mis-information from Verizon employees such as the one that posted earlier in this thread.

My only consolation is that I talked to a very helpful customer service guy, Richard, who helped me through all this, but that was only after being disconnected twice and being on hold for over 40 minutes (also the  # you have to call to perform the Assumption of liability does use up your minutes, boooooo hisss). If you have already ordered your iPhone and found yourself in this pickle you will have to bit the bullet and pay for the $1.99/month extended warrenty that only covers manufacturer defects or the $10.99/month insurance that is more thorough. 

Thanks for making my first experience with your customer service an very very bad one Verizon. I am starting to wonder if I made a big mistake hitching my star to Verizon. . .

0 Likes
Re: Complete your Assumption of Liability BEFORE you even order a new phone
MTNMAWMAW

I'M NOT ORDERING AN IPHONE.

0 Likes