Can I activate an old iPhone 4?
mz_lindsey

My iPhone 5s broke and I want to turn on another phone through verizon. Is that possible?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My iPhone 5s is broken and I want to get an old iPhone 4 turned on through verizon until I upgrade. Is that possible? If so, will it cost ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mz.lindsey,

Thanks for getting in touch with us on the community member forums. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We've got great news for you! You will definitely be able to activate an older iPhone 4 or iPhon 4S. Just make sure they are specifically designed to be used on Verizon Wireless and you'll be good to go!

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: My iPhone 5s is broken and I want to get an old iPhone 4 turned on through verizon until I upgrade. Is that possible? If so, will it cost ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mz.lindsey,

Thanks for getting in touch with us on the community member forums. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We've got great news for you! You will definitely be able to activate an older iPhone 4 or iPhon 4S. Just make sure they are specifically designed to be used on Verizon Wireless and you'll be good to go!

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mz_lindsey

Thank you so much. But what do you mean "specifically designed to be used by VZW"

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They basically mean to say that the phone should have CDMA support on it. Prior to the iPhone 6, an iPhone was sold in a "CDMA" or a "GSM" model. The GSM models, which are more common especially outside of the US, would not work on Verizon or Sprint, but would work with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Basically, an easy way to find out if the iPhone 4/4S could work on Verizon is to see if it's packaging states CDMA support. Or, you can look up the model identifier (usually something like A1234 on Apple devices) to see what phone it is. If it was bought directly from Verizon at some point, then by all means it's compatible.

0 Likes
mz_lindsey

Okay thank you so much for your help. Will it cost anything ?

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
LDsay
Enthusiast - Level 2

It shouldn't cost anything to activate the phone as you already have the replacement and are using it on an existing line. If you were purchasing a phone or activating a new line of service, you would face a charge. By calling Verizon to process the activation, or processing it through the My Verizon account, you are not impacted by charges. Smiley Happy

jd93

so how do we go about doing this?

0 Likes
Xainadu1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon refused to activate my iPhone 5 saying its old technology and is not being supported anymore, so I don't think your iPhone 4 has any possibility of working, Good luck   thanks

Xainadu1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My iPhone was purchased and previously used on Verizon, still they said NO not supporting them anymore  thanks

0 Likes
Re: My iPhone 5s is broken and I want to get an old iPhone 4 turned on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it can be difficult to find out that your phone is no longer compatible, Xainadu1. It is true that we are activating 4G and 5G phones that support HD Voice only at this point as we march forward towards an all 4G and 5G network. If you want to check the compatibility of any device on our network, go here: vzw.com/checkesn If you have any questions, just let us know. 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes