Can I use factory-unlocked iPhone 4s (purchased from other retail store) as prepaid device in Verizon?
hbanana

I'm thinking of switching to prepaid service from contact-based service. Can I use factory-unlocked iPhone 4s (which I'm planning to purchase from other store (e.g. amazon) because I don't want pre-owned iPhone 4s offered by Verizon ) as prepaid device in Verizon?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can I use factory-unlocked iPhone 4s (purchased from other retail store) as prepaid device in Verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hbanana

Great question! I can point you in the right direction. You can check if your device will be able to activate on our network right here: http://vz.to/1gUHIve

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Can I use factory-unlocked iPhone 4s (purchased from other retail store) as prepaid device in Verizon?
hbanana

Thank you, Verizon, for the response. I don't have device ID yet because I haven't purchased it yet.  I wanted to check it before making a purchase.

According to 2013 FCC new rule, all US carriers should post on their web sites clear and accessible information about unlock devices.. Upon request, carriers will unlock prepaid devices within a year of activation, subject to “reasonable time, payment or usage requirements.”  I found the following page in Verizon:

Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

It's not clear what will happen if a user bring unlocked device for prepaid service at first place, iPhone 4s is one of prepaid devices supported by Verizon and it technically come with both GSM and CDMA capability for my understanding. So, I ASSUME I can use unlocked iPhone 4s in Verizon network (CDMA) as prepaid service w/o any problems.  Please clarify.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are great questions, hbanana!

The policy you are referring to are in regards to devices we sell to our customers.  Considering you are looking to purchase the device from a 3rd party source, I recommend reaching out to the device provider to ensure it's compatible with our network.  You can always take the device to one of our corporate store locations to see if it can be activated on our network.  Here's a link to our local store locations: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/store-locator.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes