Correct way to xfer info from phones
johneb2

I have read the iTunes guide on transferring info from one iPhone to another, but figured I check in with the "experts" here.   I will be receiving a replacement iPhone 4s on Monday (had 3g connectivity issues on original 4s).  I have synced the original iPhone through iTunes.   Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of etc., when I sync the replacement iPhone through iTunes.  I do not want to lose any data.   Any input would be appreciated.    JohnEB2

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Correct way to xfer info from phones
2x4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Generally the iTunes backup is pretty good.  I just restored my iPod touch config to a new iPhone 4S, and it was mostly successful.  Restoring to the same model should be more so.  Here are the things that might be annoying:

• If you have an extensive media library, be prepared to sit a while.  I have over 5800 songs, mostly 128kbps, and it took somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to download them all to the new iPhone, over a solid USB2.0 link.
  • You will get the same "device name", probably not an issue for a replacement device, but my iPhone got renamed as iPod.  It's really easy to fix, though.
  • Unless you do an encrypted backup of the old device, no passwords will be in the backup, so you will have to reenter all of them.  And there are a lot (e.g. Apple ID, WiFi networks, e-mail accounts, etc.).  This setting is right on the main sync window (Device->Summary) of iTunes.

Other than that, all my contacts, music, list of accepted WiFi networks, e-mail account settings, etc., restored perfectly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Correct way to xfer info from phones
2x4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Generally the iTunes backup is pretty good.  I just restored my iPod touch config to a new iPhone 4S, and it was mostly successful.  Restoring to the same model should be more so.  Here are the things that might be annoying:

• If you have an extensive media library, be prepared to sit a while.  I have over 5800 songs, mostly 128kbps, and it took somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to download them all to the new iPhone, over a solid USB2.0 link.
  • You will get the same "device name", probably not an issue for a replacement device, but my iPhone got renamed as iPod.  It's really easy to fix, though.
  • Unless you do an encrypted backup of the old device, no passwords will be in the backup, so you will have to reenter all of them.  And there are a lot (e.g. Apple ID, WiFi networks, e-mail accounts, etc.).  This setting is right on the main sync window (Device->Summary) of iTunes.

Other than that, all my contacts, music, list of accepted WiFi networks, e-mail account settings, etc., restored perfectly.

0 Likes