Data, Photos, and Wifi
emmalp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having trouble finding solid answers, so I'll ask my questions here.

I have an iPhone 4 with the ALLSET Plan that includes:

Anytime Minutes Unlimited 
Text Messages* Unlimited 
Plan Data 500MB 

1. If I connect to a wifi instead of cellular network, will I use up any of my data? Or does wifi mean I can do anything without using up data?

2. Does sending a text message with no photo use data?

3. Does sending a text message with a photo use data? Does it matter if I send ONLY a photo versus a photo with text in the same message?

Thank you for helping me figure all this stuff out for the first time!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data, Photos, and Wifi
emmalp
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I got the answers directly from Verizon and I'll post them here for anyone else who is searching:

1. If I connect to a wifi instead of cellular network, will I use up any of my data? Or does wifi mean I can do anything without using up data? Verizon Answer: If you connect through wifi, you will not use up any of your data. Connect through wifi whenever possible.

2. Does sending a text message with no photo use data? Verizon Answer: No.

3. Does sending a text message with a photo use data? Does it matter if I send ONLY a photo versus a photo with text in the same message? Verizon Answer: Texting a photo does NOT use data, whether you also text words or not, as long as you are using the standard "messages" app on your phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

1) WiFi is not using cellular data. To be absolutely certain turn off cellular data while on WiFi.

2) its all included as you noted unlimited.

3) yes it uses data, but it is part of your texting plan. And you can add a message to the photo.

Good Luck

0 Likes
emmalp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! The only part I am still trying to understand exactly is:

Assuming I am using the cellular network: I know that if I send a text (only words), it is not included in my data usage and that if I text a picture, that is included in data usage.

If I send a picture with text attached (in one message - not two), is that included in data usage?

0 Likes
emmalp
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I got the answers directly from Verizon and I'll post them here for anyone else who is searching:

1. If I connect to a wifi instead of cellular network, will I use up any of my data? Or does wifi mean I can do anything without using up data? Verizon Answer: If you connect through wifi, you will not use up any of your data. Connect through wifi whenever possible.

2. Does sending a text message with no photo use data? Verizon Answer: No.

3. Does sending a text message with a photo use data? Does it matter if I send ONLY a photo versus a photo with text in the same message? Verizon Answer: Texting a photo does NOT use data, whether you also text words or not, as long as you are using the standard "messages" app on your phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Exactly as I said in my post to you

0 Likes