Re: Data overage charges
Not applicable

Deban wrote:

Some thoughts on what might be going on:

1. If you switched from an unlimited plan to Share Everything, you're now sharing everything -- wifi printer, fax, home wifi connection, everything. You're also sharing any data that passes between these devices -- computer to printer even if you're at home, etc. I don't mean to talk down to anyone, just a thought that might help anyone who hasn't thought of that.

2. For people who say that they're using wifi instead of cellular at home -- if the wifi is part of your Verizon Share Everything plan, that usage is being counted too. (But is wifi usage "skinnier" than cell usage? I honestly don't know -- would appreciate information about that from anyone.)

You need to think again. Data shared between devices but not going over the network does NOT count.

wi-fi also does not count. Wi-fi uses your regular internet connection. Verizon only counts data going over THEIR networks not others.

Holy cow you posted a bunch of malarkey.

0 Likes
Deban
Enthusiast - Level 2

"You need to think again. Data shared between devices but not going over the network does NOT count."

I've heard otherwise, but from another customer. If he was misinformed, then so was I -- sorry for any confusion.

"wi-fi also does not count. Wi-fi uses your regular internet connection. Verizon only counts data going over THEIR networks not others."

Ah, missing bit of information: I have a phone AND a MiFi on my Verizon account. I may have spoken of my MiFi and the separate wifi connection I have at home somewhat interchangeably -- sorry for the confusion. I meant to ask whether data going over my MiFi and data going over the cellular connection count the same amount against my data limit. For example, if I download an app on my phone using the cellular connection, and download the same app on my laptop using my MiFi connection, would they use up the same amount of my data allotment for the month?

If the answer to that question seems obvious to you such that it sounds like "malarkey," please assume that I am missing some information about the system. If that's the case, i would very much appreciate it if you (or someone else) could explain it to me.

"Holy cow you posted a bunch of malarkey."

Thank you very much for setting me straight where I was mistaken. Crankypuss.

0 Likes
NKNK

Install one of the many available data-measuring apps on your (Android?) device (example below is NQ Mobile Security Tool's Network Manager), and verify if the usage reported (per day) is around the same as those reported by Verizon, e.g.

NQ1.jpg

NQ2.jpg

i.e. I used about 33MB on 6/13/2013, and 42 MB on 6/14/2013, and it shows me which apps were responsible.

Hope that helps identify discrepancies.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

<< Comment removed - thread and subject over 6 months old and closed to further discussion >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes