Data usage at home...?
Placone

Hi I am new to the APPLE family and a new Verizon customer. We bought a pair of iPhone 4 - 8G's and are on the share plan of 4G until we figure out how much data we both use, according to the rep, that is how we should go in at first and then later upgrade our plans or down grade depending on usage. So my question is I went onto Verizon after my 1st day an noticed that I had text and data usage of 127.mb while at home. I am connected to WiFi at my home and should not be charged. It did not show me a charge but it did count the usage. I was using my Facetime connected with my son out of state (which I adore this feature by the way). Will I in cure this usage and be charged for it later and how will I know? Please advise!!

Also If I am always connected to Facebook, Words w/Friends and I am not on them just the same as any of my apps~ will I get charged for data usage away from WiFi? If so How do I keep this from happening?

NEW CUSTOMER

Pamela

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage at home...?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the phone is asleep (screen off), the WiFi radio will also go to sleep. This will cause the cellular data connection to become active and transfer data for email, Facebook, etc. To prevent this from happening, you can turn off the cellular data connection for those times you are going to connect to wifi for extended periods of time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Placone

How do you turn it off when you are NOT using the apps? For instance while I am at work...? Do I have to log in and out of Facebook so there is no data transferring away from a WiFi? I am still confused with you answer. Sorry please try and re explain how you turn off CELLULAR data?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The switch to turn off the cellular data connection is found within the phone's settings. I don't know exactly where it is on the iPhone, but it is there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Placone

Wow.. I knew this would be work.. However I want the freedom to  "not worry" about minutes, data and all the fulfillment that comes with the phones/networks (the reason for buying our phones-more accessibility) I have been a loyal CRICKET user for 7 years UNLIMITED everything- slow, slow, slow..was tired. I want my new Verizon commitment to be a positive experience. I don't want to be sorry for joining a 2 year contract. Well..I guess all I can do is go through my first month and see how we are going through the data to have something to compare it to. Thanks for the help~

0 Likes
fergieg
Contributor - Level 2

With iPhones you never know... you might think you are NOT using data because you are connected to Wi-Fi, bu tthen it ends up eating your plan data allowance. There are CHEAPSHOTS like these everywhere. You just CAN'T BE CERTAIN THAT YOUR BILL WOULD BE THE SAME EVERY MONTH.

Also: if anyone tells you that the Wi-Fi radio is turned off to save power - it's just NONSENSE. 3G transmission from a mobile phone can use more than 500mW (average) of power (since the packets could travel miles), on the other hand, Wi-fi works within a few hundred feet and use about 30mW to 200mW (with wireless N reaching farther). So, yeah - no power saving here. If that was the case, how come Android phones keep the Wi-Fi active even in sleep mode?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because Android phones have a setting to tell the radio to stay on. The same setting can tell the WiFi radio to go to sleep as well.

Does the iPhone have that same option? So far I haven't seen any indication that it does.

0 Likes
Placone

Unfortunately NO, we have a WiFi on or off button. I monitored our usage for one day and found out that it only uses data when you are "in" the applications when you are out of them it does not- however I feel confident now that I will not go over as I was just given our network password at work for freedom to browse. I love my job! So I am going to not worry so much and leave all the browsing for the hubby to use on our "share" account or when we are on road trips. This is going to be nice... Thanks for all of your help!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this area of the phone to see if you can find the switch to turn off the cellular data connection when needed.

settings --> general --> cellular

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Placone!

Welcome to the Verizon Wireless family! I'm so glad you decided to come on over!  Ann provided some great information and I'm glad you were able to find the way to keep your usage on Wi-Fi when you're home!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes