Does iMessage use data?
MaceWindu57

Does using iMessage between iPhones use chargable data on your data plan, as opposed to conventional text massages?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iMessage data use
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes it does, unless of course you are on wifi.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes it does, unless of course you are on wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@MaceWindu57,

That's a great question and you've come to the right place for answers.

iMessge is a great way to stay connected with friends and family. As rcshnoor mentioned, it uses data when sending and receiving iMessages unless you are connected to WiFi. Standard text messages do not use data.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us onTwitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mkmmkm

My daughter has been using IMessage and tells me that if she turns it off to save data that she cannot send or receive texts to/from other Iphone users. Is that true or is she tellin tales?  

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It is kind of true because of how Apple has their system set up.

She needs to unsubscribe her number from Apple's iMessage system and not to use it at all anymore. She can go into settings under messaging and turn off iMessage. This SHOULD unsubscribe her number from Apple's system, but Apple is not vigilant in keeping their system up to date to dissuade people from leaving their fold. To help with the completeness of her leaving iMessage in the dust, you should have her text the word "stop" to 48369 after she has turned off iMessage. She should receive a reply that she has been removed.

She MAY still have problems receiving texts from iPhone users, but this will hopefully help. If iPhone users have SMS messages disabled, though, those iPhone users have their settings such that their phone will not send texts except to those using iMessage.

Hopefully this will help. Good luck.

Of course, if she simply turns iMessage back on, this will undo all of these steps. She needs to turn it off and KEEP IT OFF.

0 Likes
mkmmkm

Thanks! I appreciate the info. They really do what that can to keep you sucked in don't they? lol 

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

There is a link in this thread that details the process and the stop text suggested above

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/818894

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mkmmkm,

I understand your concern, I have been in the same situation as well! This is defintiely true, iMessages need to have data turned on in order to work. They can be turned off, they will simply de deducted from text allowance. However, you can still keep data on and save on usage. Go to Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data For: Turn off all the apps you don't want using cellular data. This way you can keep iMessages on but limit data use.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes