Gibberish texts from Samsung Intensity 2
AlexM
I recently got an iPhone 4. My girlfriend recently got a Samsung Intensity 2. We're both with Verizon. When she sends me texts wih smilies, it turns the entire text into gibberish. Can I fix this?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Gibberish texts from Samsung Intensity 2
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

This is a known issue. As long as she send you texts with that you will have issues. As far as I know of there is no fix right now.

0 Likes
AlexM
That sucks. She really likes her smilies and can't control herself. :smileywink:
0 Likes
AlexM
That sucks. She really likes her smilies and can't control herself. :smileywink:
0 Likes
AlexM
No delete, eh?
0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello AlexM,

I can relate to your girlfriend.  I like my smile faces as well!  It seems that this is only taking place when she sends you a text with the emoticon and this does not take place when other people include this in their text correct?  If so, the common denominator looks like it's your girlfriend's device.  There are no recent software updates for the Intensity II so we do want to jump into resetting her device if her device is the common factor.  The factory data reset can be done by navigating to Menu>Settings and Tools>Phone Settings>Security>Lock Code (usually the last four digits of your mobile number unless you changed it)>Restore Phone>Highlight yes and press ok.  The phone will reset and will prompt reactivation by pressing send and option 1 or by dialing *228 send opt 1.  This process will erase everything on her device so please back up if desired.  Please retest text with smiley and if restored beautiful, if not please PM me your name and mobile number so I can further assist you.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
noyesair

I too have this same problem of weird looking text when my mom txt's a message with an "EMOTICON". 

She has the Samsung Intensity II and I have an iPhone 4 (as does my son).  When she sends either of us a typed smile " :smileyhappy: " that works just fine.  The anomaly only happens when a txt with an emoticon is sent from a Samsung Intensity II to an iPhone.  My nephew also has a Intensity II and I had him send various messages to me and my son  we get the same result. 

Verdict, everytime a txt with an emoticon is sent from ANY Samsung Intensity II to an iPhone 4, the entire message comes through as garbage text, ie. gibberish.

Don't think a reset would do anything as it is happening from multiple "Intensity II's".  I think it a format problem with the iPhone.

Anything I can do to be able to recieve these messages?

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

iOS5 (or 4 with certain apps) to iOS5 doesn't have issues with Emoticons.  Android to Android doesn't have issues with Emoticons.  Being emoticons are not a 'standard', support between DIFFERENT platforms can be spotty at best.  It's not the iPhones fault.  When in doubt just resort to the old fashioned way of sending emoticons...  You can do so much with different punctuation symbols... For example

Smiley Happy

Smiley Sad

😕

😐

😕

and so forth...  kind of cool in a plain sort of way aren't they?  ... sort of like what the Google fans thing of the average google app, gmail, gChat or whatnot...

0 Likes
guzsammy

Hey Alex - I'm new to the community but came across your comment regarding gibberish.   Having the same problem, I spoke to a tech named Emanuel and he told me to tell my friends (users of the Verizon iphone ) to update their phone with the familiar *228.  They have all done this!  The gibberish is gone,  replaced with regular text however I'll have to deal with losing the emoticons : (

0 Likes
purplejazza
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got an iPhone on Monday and we gave my husband's Samsung Intensity to my daughter as her "emergency" phone...which she likes to use to text me while I'm at work. Smiley Happy But I have the same problem. Sometimes her texts go through normal, other times they are gibberish. I read somewhere else that the texter using the Samsung can't use any symbols, exclamation points, question marks, nothing like that or it will jumble. Is that true or is it just when she's trying to type a smiley that it turns to gibberish? In regards to the last post...if I update my iPhone, I'll be able to see her texts?

0 Likes