Re: Has anyone figured out to transfer old ringtones and pics from blackberry.....
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

MDFinny wrote:

thanks - so walk me though your comment about the tones folder on the main screen of my iphone. I am guessing that's the problem.

Ok, I hope I can explain this in a way that isn't too confusing. While your phone is connected to your computer click on the name of your iPhone in iTunes. You should see tabs across the top that say: summary, info, apps, tones, etc. Click on the one that says tones if you are autosyncing your device (not if you are manually managing it...which is when you manually put what songs/movies you want on your iPhone versus letting iTunes do it based on either playlists/etc you have pre-selected or letting it put  random selections on your device until it). Then put a check mark in the box that says Sync Tones. You can choose "Sync all" or "selected tones". You may need to select "apply" or "sync" at the bottom of the screen after this point. I manually manage my device so I don't know the final steps.

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone figured out to transfer old ringtones and pics from blackberry.....
MDFinny

This part works great but then when I go to the phone to try to assign the ringtone nothing shows up in the sounds folder.

Everything has been changed using aac, everything renamed to m4r, and I see a tones folder under the DEVICE list for my phone in the itunes page. But not in the phone. Shouldn';t they just show up on the ringtones screen in sounds? 

One stupid question - does it matter that the fodlers are named "tones" and not "ringtones"?

thanks again.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No, it doesn't matter that the folders are named "tones" since iTunes is creating the folders. You won't see a tones folder on your phone when it's not connected to iTunes. The tones should be on the settings page for sounds. You may have to scroll up or scroll down to view them. They will be grouped together separately from the stock sounds that are already included on the phone. While it is in iTunes, if you click on the tones folder you see under your iPhone name do you see any tones in that folder? If so, the tones are on your phone. You might need to reset your phone (power it off and then power it back on). But if they are showing in iTunes under your device they are there. Unless there is somethining strange going on with the 4s this should work exactly the same. I just helped my friends niece add ringtones to her 4s on Christmas Day so I know the process works the same and she didn't have any trouble.

0 Likes
MDFinny

it gets weirder. I loaded 9 but only one shows up now. Ironically the one that shows up was too long and I edited it down under 40 seconds and not it is the only one showing up.

Progress or more confusion?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

MDFinny wrote:

it gets weirder. I loaded 9 but only one shows up now. Ironically the one that shows up was too long and I edited it down under 40 seconds and not it is the only one showing up.

Progress or more confusion?

Confusion lol. Not sure why the ringtones wouldn't show up if they are done correctly. Are they showing in iTunes and are they all around 30 secs or less?

0 Likes
MDFinny

yes and yes.

they are all here. files name is like this.

c:\documents and settings\mfinstein\My Documents\My Music\ iTunes\iTunes media\ringtones\01 jailbreak.m4r

they are all in the tones folder in my library as well.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Ok....not sure if the name of the ringtone just happens to be jailbreak or if you did that to your device...if you did maybe that plays a part? Have you tried restarting your device to see if that works?

0 Likes
MDFinny

jailbreak is the name of the song (Thin Lizzy).

yes, I have shut off and turned the phone back on several times.

I even deleted ann tones and music from my itunes account and started all voer and still with just the one ringtone.

They do show up in the songs folder. Should I try deleting all the original mp3's from the music playlist and only leave the m4r's in the tones folder?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If they are showing up in the songs folder then there is conflict with your tones. Either you aren't actually syncing them to the phone like you think or they aren't formatted correctly. Are you manually managing your phone or are you letting iTunes do the syncing? I would suggest manually managing if following the steps to sync to the iPhone aren't working (and you have correctly placed the check mark in the sync tones box and selected either sync all tones or selected tones....and made sure that you clicked apply and sync at the bottom of the page to allow the sync to take place). I personally prefer manual management and have no problems with it but I know for some people this isn't the best option (or maybe they don't feel like it's the easiest).

0 Likes