Help! Trying to put 3 different Gmail accounts on the iPhone - can't tell the difference
GailD

I knew I should NOT have tried to set up this phone without someone here who is savvy with the iPhone AND Gmail!  I am not a stupid person, but setting up this smart phone is messing with me!

I tried to use Exchange to add all 3 accounts (personal, work, and volunteer) since from all I read, that was the best way to get all my contacts to sync (which, they have not).  Somehow the third email is showing up as a gmail, not an exchange although I did the same process to add it.

But I can't tell the difference as to which account is receiving what under exchange unless I look really carefully at previous received emails since some people email me at both work and home. how do I set this up? People kept saying "you figured out the Droid, you can easily do this"...right now I'm not so sure!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help! Trying to put 3 different Gmail accounts on the iPhone - can't tell the difference
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

When you look in settings and go to the the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" option do you not see the 3 different emails listed under accounts? If so, click on each one. You should see the email address associated with that particular entry in the box labeled "account". Click on that label and on that screen you should see Account Information. The last option in that box should say "Description". Change the name in that to be able to identify which email address it is (you can put "personal", "work", "volunteer" or whatever to distinguish).

0 Likes
Re: Help! Trying to put 3 different Gmail accounts on the iPhone - can't tell the difference
GailD

Okay - since I've had no immediate response from anyone - I just deleted it all. I am so frustrated. It did NOT pull in my contacts from my main account, only my work account. So after deleting them all, I tried to pull in my gmail account as gmail, not as Exchange...nope - no contacts.  

I really need someone who has done multiple gmail accounts before to give me some guidance.

PLEASE someone either send me somewhere (to another thread...another web page) for some guidance, or share some wisdome here.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

GailD wrote:

Okay - since I've had no immediate response from anyone - I just deleted it all. I am so frustrated. It did NOT pull in my contacts from my main account, only my work account. So after deleting them all, I tried to pull in my gmail account as gmail, not as Exchange...nope - no contacts.  

I really need someone who has done multiple gmail accounts before to give me some guidance.

PLEASE someone either send me somewhere (to another thread...another web page) for some guidance, or share some wisdome here.  

1. Gmail exchange is BETA, and doesn't always work right.
2.  As above mentioned you can rename them so you can tell the difference.  You can do that while going through the setup.
3.  You can temporily use iTunes and sync with Gmail, or yahoo just to get everything started.
My wife has multiple gmail accounts and she doesn't bother with Gmail exchange because it doesn't always work(she tells me).
0 Likes
GailD

Thanks! Finally found my way to the Description you mentioned. I ended up deleting all three accounts, pulling only one no for the moment, then syncing my gmail contacts through iTunes (which I've never used before). Had pulled in contacts from my work account to make sure they showed up there too. I'll figure it out eventually -- it's just been a frustrating day.  Am starting to play with Siri a little bit. I just need to accep the fact that things WON'T be like they were on my Android phone, and that's not necessarily bad...it's just different, and I need to adjust. 

0 Likes
GailD

Thanks Tidbits - used your syncing through iTunes to get me up and running. I'll be with my daughter and her "Communications Engineer" boyfriend in 3 weeks, and will use their expertise then if I haven't been able to get fully functional on my own! I appreciate your, and other folks input.  Bad day in general, and hoped this would be a  bright spot...it's getting there, but slowly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Glad you are up and running.  Google needs to work on their exchange.  If they get that thing out of beta(which it has been since LAST year).  I don't think they really work on it because they want to push Android devices to work great with their services.

0 Likes
GailD

I'm on the phone with Apple right now - setting up AppleCare+ -- and trying to locate a class for me to go to that will work with my schedule (and how far I'd have to drive)

Thanks everyone for your input and for getting me through my moments of frustration and panic.

0 Likes