Horribly slow 3G in Cleveland Area
rshorts

Anyone have any suggestions?  I am getting .8mbps download, and .54mbps upload on both my 4s and Ipad2.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Horribly slow 3G in Cleveland Area
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there, rshorts!
I can see how these speeds can cause you question others speeds.
I just want to check in to see how speeds have been since this post since we didn't have any other Clevelanders reply, I want to make sure our network in the area is okay.
Since you have the iPhone 4S, make sure you dial *228 option to link the device to the closest towers.
With the iPad, power it off/on.
If you are still having slow speeds, feel free to contact our technical support team at 800.922.0204 option 3 for further assistance.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Owen227

As a Droid X user, I can also confirm that the 3G data service in the Cleveland area has been steadily declining for the last year or so. It's almost at the point of being unusable. I thought it might be my phone, but after taking a couple trips out of state the last couple of weeks it seems the problem is Cleveland. My data speeds and connection were fantastic in Nashville and Baltimore. I pay more for Verizon because the service has always been great. I'm starting to wonder why I should keep paying a premium for bad service.

0 Likes
aq4me

I can also confirm that 3G speed for both our Iphone 4S units is unusable unless we are WiFi. Getting max download speed of .216 running speedtest. What is going on as we are new to Verizon since August 2012?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Owen227 and aq4me, thank you for sharing your concern with the service in your area. Do you notice the slow speeds in a certain part of the city or all over? What zip code are you normally located in? Since this issue started, have you contacted technical support to possibly have a trouble ticket submitted?

I look forward to your reply.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
aq4me

We live in Mentor, Oh 44060 and the 3G data speeds average only around .210MB DL / .134 UL with 2-3 bars. 3G data rates in other Cleveland city areas (South Park / Great Lakes malls, IX Center, Quicken loans Arena) seem to be very slow as well or we can not even get an internet connection, This is happening with (2) Iphone 4S tested at the same time. We "occasionally" find a  hot spot area and can achieve up to 1MB 3G DL speed. I spoke with Verizon Cleveland district manager "Heather" yesterday about this and she was opening trouble ticket to have tech come out to were we live and check signal levels but I think there is a more widespread issue happening as others seem to have the same type 3G data rate problems. Voice quality and signals are very good everywhere for us. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Owen227

I live in Cleveland, OH, 44111. At home, most of the time, my speeds are OK, but half of that they used to be. (About 0.5 MB/s) The closer I get to Lake Erie, forget about it. It's especially bad in 44107 and 44113. These are densely populated areas, so I've always gotten slightly less performance there, but recently it's been VERY slow. I would also like to say that my problem is only data. My voice service doesn't seem to be affected.

0 Likes
aq4me

We went in to our local Verizion store in Mentor on Sunday 2/17 and actually showed Brandon (manger) the issue we are having with 3G data rates. He ran a number of Speedtests on both Iphone 4S phones and confirmed there is something not right but could not offer a reason why after messing with a number of configuration settings. I told him we are in contact with Heather the local Verizon district mgr. but it is sounding like there is little support in maintaining or fixing there 3G network. This came a quite a surprise and they suggested we move to an Iphone 5 with LTE. We just bought the Iphone 4S phone a little over a month ago and was never told how bad the 3G data service or that we should be getting a phone with LTE to have any chance of using data outside of WiFi. Also, we were out in the Beechwood Legacy Village area Saturday and could not even get an internet connection on either of our phones even outdoors.

0 Likes
QiZ

I can confirm the download speed is ridiculous during work hours (8a-5p). I'm an iPhone 5 user on LTE, and during weekdays, the download speed is horrible. For iTunes music, it can be as slow as 10-20 KB/s.

Zip code is 44115 by the way.

0 Likes
mattopia

I have been experiencing painfully slow speeds as well for several months with increasing degradation.  I've even upon Verizon's recommendation changed from an iPhone 4 to an LTE-enabled iPhone 5 (and lost my unlimited data plan in the process).  No difference - in fact, for the past couple of days, I've had to disable LTE and fall back to 3G to get any connectivity at all.

I spoke with customer care earlier in the week - they have submitted trouble tickets twice now to the engineering group - both times the ticket was closed with "poor coverage area" - they don't seem to understand that this happens in many areas of Cleveland - not just at one location.  I was also told by one representative that her friend "goes to Cleveland all the time and never has problems" - well, glad to hear it.

Verizon has offered to allow me out of my contract, but I'm not sure where I'd go.  I switched from AT&T because of these exact same issues - I'm running out of carriers to try.  I guess I need to move to the outskirts of civilization (where Verizon has always worked well!)

0 Likes