How can a landline, not in my phone contacts, show up with my friend's name when I only had her cell in my contacts?
ainswortht

I was going over my bill and saw a number I didn't recognize, but apparently talked to for over 10 minutes.  I checked the time and found the call in my Iphone's recent call list.  It was one of my friends, but I only had her cell number in my contacts.  When I looked up her contact info I saw that this previously unknown landline was now in her contact file.

This isn't really a problem, I'm just curious to know how this works.  I tried to google this with no success and couldn't find it here in the forums.  If anyone would like to take a moment to answer me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can a landline, not in my phone contacts, show up with my friend's name when I only had her cell in my contacts?
rcschnoor
Legend

There are a couple of ways the number could have gotten in your friend's contact info.

Someone could have entered it in manually. Someone also could have "added to existing contact" after entering the number to make a call.

I have had people add their number to my phone when they use it to make a call. If they were to make that call to their own landline, it would be even easier to add the number after the fact.

If the number was on your computer in your contacts, it also could have been added when the phone was synced with your computer.

There are any number of ways the number could have appeared in your contacts, but since it is a friend's number and is listed under the correct contact, I am sure that it came from some sort of user input whether it was you or someone else using the phone/computer.

0 Likes
Re: How can a landline, not in my phone contacts, show up with my friend's name when I only had her cell in my contacts?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'm not exactly sure how syncing Facebook contacts works, but if this is a Facebook contact and your friend updated her contact information in Facebook, the next time the phone syncs with Facebook, the contact information would be updated.  Assuming the OP syncs his/her phone with Facebook contacts.

0 Likes
ainswortht

Thanks so much for responding.  I do have a little more info now.  I know for a fact neither of us put the number in the phone.  Her cell number that was in my contacts is a local number.  She is working 1600 miles away on a 6 month job.  I just spoke with her and she told me that her office (which just got set up and is temporary) had a landline put in and Verizon is the carrier.  So the landline is about 6 weeks old.  She said she isn't sure what happened either.

Could it be that her cell synced with the verizon landline?  OH...she also said that she put the number in her cell under contacts as OFFICE..  She said she didn't put it in Facebook or her email profile.  Again, this is certainly not a priority and I know there are many people on here that need real help, while I'm bending your ear strictly out of curiosity. 

There is so much crossover with things now-a-days I guess sometimes you just have to accept it without knowing how or why!! 

0 Likes