I have some questions about the unlocking of iPhone 4s
Mark821023

I hope an official Verizon person can answer the following questions for me:

After meeting all the requirements:

1. How long can I unlock the phone for?

2. I will be going to Taiwan for 3 months over summer, can I suspend the account after I've gotten it unlocked?

in other words, can suspension of the account and unlocking of the iPhone coexist?

3. If the answer of question 2 is NO, do I have to pay during the time when my iPhone is unlocked and being used in Taiwan?

4. Is unlocking free?

5. Does it have to be 10 months between each unlock? What if I go to Taiwan during summer and also during Christmas? Will I be able to get it unlocked twice in a 4-month interval?

Thank you very much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I have some questions about the unlocking of iPhone 4s
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

First, you need to understand that the unlocking that VZW or any iPhone carrier in the US that will do it does is not the same as a fully unlocked iPhone (such as what you can buy from Apple directly at the full retail price and will not work on CDMA networks). It is a Sim unlock and will allow you to use foriegn simcards while traveling abroad. If you search this forum you will see at least one thread about this that has responses from a VZW employee that may help answer your questions.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge here is the answer to the questions you asked:

1). Once it's unlocked, it is unlocked. Again, this is ONLY a sim card unlock.

2). No, you can't. Your phone will not work if you don't have service...and it is tied to VZW so you can't activate it to another carrier. You can use another carriers sim card to avoid VZW's international raoming fees...so it will be cheaper for you in that aspect rather than pay their high fees...

3). Yes, you will have to pay your normal VZW bill. Your service will still be active. You just won't be using VZW for your roaming if you use another foreign carriers sim card.

4). Yes, unlocking is free. You just have to be eligible for unlocking (

5). See #1. If in the future you have another device that you need the sim unlocked for then you would be able to do so 10 months after your last sim unlock.

0 Likes
Mark821023

So the thing is...I have to pay my monthly bills even if I'm not in the US?

0 Likes
Mark821023

and if I suspend my account then the unlocking would work?

0 Likes
Mark821023

"wouldn't" sorry

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yes, you would still have to pay your bill. If you suspend your account then you will owe the ETF fee unless you have already fulfilled your 2 year contract. After you suspend your account the unlock would still work...if the phone was reactivated on VZW by you or someone else. Again, the unlock is NOT a device unlock which allows you to use the phone on any GSM network without contract (as you seem to want to do by having the option to cancel service on VZW when out of the country at will). The unlock is only a simcard unlock. You can contact VZW to explain this more clearly if you think that will help.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello happy forum members,

There has been a lot of conversations about the benefits of having an unlocked device. The feedback we get is always appreciated as the forum is designed to assist those in need or who are unaware. I will begin by answering the questions form the original posting. Once clarification has been provided then it would be my pleasure to research and answer any subsequent questions.

1. Once a 3G global device is unlocked then it will remain unlock.
  2. If you temporarily suspend your account then the device will NOT function globally as the device ID is tied to the account.
  3. For billing purposes, as a customer you have the option to suspend your account with or without billing. Keep in mind that if you decide to suspend without billing then the length of the suspension will be added to the contract date and the upgrade date as an extension.
  4. Unlocking a 3G global device is free of charge but there are requirements that has to be met to have a device unlocked. If interested in such requirements then please reply to this message so I can elaborate.
  5. Referencing to the answer to the first question, yes you will be able to go to Taiwan during the summer and again during Christmas using the same unlocked device. Should you decide to activate a second global device then this device would not be able to be unlocked until 10 months past from the last device unlock.

I am a proud owner of an unlock iPhone 4S I have enjoyed the reduced international roaming rates of a foreign carrier. As kaebfly stated, some international carriers have cheaper roaming rates then we do at Verizon Wireless. If you decide to use an international sim then the unlocked device must be activated outside of the Verizon Wireless network. This is because the device will choose our network over the international sim network agreement while in the US. The iPhone 4S can be activated with a international sim installed via wi-fi or using iTunes on a computer outside of the US. Once you have returned to the US, simply call *228 and select option 1 to re-program your device to pick up Verizon Wireless network in the US. As always, feel free to reply to this message if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

memmieleblanc

Hi,

I would like to unlock my iphone 4s, please tell me the requirements.

Teresa

0 Likes
marybell

I would also like to know the requirements and if it has to be done in the store, or if I can do it.  Also, is an unlocked phone the same as "jailbreaking?"

Thank you

Mary

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello community members! I can provide you with qualifications for 3G SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) Unlock. Please see below:

*Must be a Verizon Wireless customer. VZW only unlocks devices for VZW customers.

*The device being unlocked must be active on a VZW line of service.

*The line of service must be active for at least 60 days.

*The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.

Good Standing is defined as:
  Balance must be current
  No service suspensions or hotlines in the    past 60 days.

*You may only have one 3G SIM unlock per line every 10 months.

I hope this helps! Have a great day!

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes