I keep going over my data but I'm not using it more.
Kmartin1190
Enthusiast - Level 1

I keep going over my data but I'm not using it more than what I have in the past. I have never gone over in 2 1/2 years but all of a sudden I'm going over these past 3 months by almost a gig. Is there something maybe I can shut off to not use as much? This is getting ridiculous.

Labels (2)
Re: I keep going over my data but I'm not using it more.
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

I am having a similar issue with my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB. But with my Droid MAXX, I have not used any of our shared data allowance since 26 October, 2014. And if you look around here, you should find plenty of other users having the same issue, which you are having.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Kmartin1190. I can understand how this may be concerning to you. Has there been any new apps installed recently?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Kmartin1190
Enthusiast - Level 1

No new apps have been installed lately. I see that many people are having the same issue. I'm always connected to Wifi as much as possible and I completely close my apps all the time. I feel like this is a scam from Verizon so people update their data to a higher one which means more money.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Eadur,

We want you to love our service and in order to do that we need to give you the power to control the data your phone uses. Lets get your wife's iPhone under control so you can start enjoying data on your phone again.

I've found it extremely useful to customize which apps are allowed to use data and which ones are only allowed to connect to Wi-Fi. This is done easily with iPhones, and is a great way to ensure apps you don't want using data are not doing so. Just go into Settings>Cellular and scroll down. You will see a list of all the apps on the phone. You can flip the switch next to the apps off to allow them to only use Wi-Fi. I do this for most of the apps I do not use on a regular basis. Also, a great way to stop data usage is to turn off the Cellular Data when Wi-Fi is available. This is a powerful double-check that will ensure no data is used when the phone is supposed to be on Wi-Fi.

SarahO_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kmartin1190,

I can assure you the goal we have is to keep you happy with us so that you want to continue our service for many years. A scam like that would not accomplish this goal, and having a negative experience is the last thing we want to provide you with! Do you have an iPhone like Eadur's wife? If so, the suggestions I made above may help.

SarahO_VZW

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

SarahO_VZW,

1. Thank you for your reply. I know it is against the rules for me to repeat myself here. So this is why I left out the fine details, which I have already posted elsewhere here. However, I would be glad to share the fine details with you, if it would help.

2. With that being said, I understand how, where, and have done what you have suggested for me to do, long time ago. However, from what I read here, turning off the LTE may help reduce the data usage of my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB. In which case, doing so has reduce the size of the chunks being eating. But has not stop the chunks from being eating.

3. Any way, here is a question: "If during the last billing cycle, my wife's iPhone use 2.788 GB. And mine Droid MAXX use 0.126 GB, of the 2.914 GB grand total of data usage. Does that work out to be that my wife's phone used 2,212% more data usage than mine phone??"  ....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks you for sharing a few more details, Eadur. I didn't see any of this previous information here on this post, but if you've posted on multiple forums it may not be easily seen by us. When you go into Settings>Cellular and scroll down on your wife's phone, are there any applications that are reflecting data usage in the GB range? Or any over 100 MB? We do want to determine what is using so much more data on your wife's phone than your phone and finding the apps the phone reflects being used most will help.

By design, iPhones do turn off WiFi when they go dormant, so if a download is in progress or information is being backed up wirelessly and the phone goes dormant, it will switch to use cellular data if it's left on. Turning LTE off will only slow the data from being used and not stop it, as the average data speed over 3G is 400 Kbps-1.4 Mbps but the average over LTE is 5 Mbps-12 Mbps.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

JenniferH_VZW,

1. Thank you for your reply. And thank you for not sounding like a broken record. You have touch base with some new information, that has not been address before.

2. I do not have access to my wife's phone right now. But I do understand how and where to look to see if any applications are reflecting data usage in the GB range, or 100 MB range. And I call myself having done so already. In which case, I do not recall any applications reflecting data usage in those ranges. However, I will double check for this, on her iPhone, when she gets home tonight.

3. I will pass on the information to my wife, that "By design, iPhones do turn off Wi-Fi when they go dormant, so .... left on". Please forgive me if I am repeating myself, but my wife is from Ukraine. And the main reason for us getting smartphones was to be able to keep in contact with her family and friends there. Therefore, I call myself having most of the applications disabled, which would not help her to keep in contact with her family. ....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you double checking those apps, Eadur. Keep in mind that is you disable cellular data and are unable to use an application, that means it requires a data connection to be used and WiFi isn't connected. If she is always connected to WiFi as you mentioned, then disabling cellular data for applications (especially ones that can stream video and result in higher data usage, such as YouTube or Skype) will not effect the applications or your wife's ability to keep in contact with her family.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport