I'm renewing my plan, and am thinking of the iPhone 4.....good idea?
DrMondo

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be renewing my plan soon.  I want to change to a different phone, and I was thinking of the iPhone 4.  The phone is free when I renew, so that is a selling point.  I also see the iPhone 4S is 49.99.  Is there any difference between the two?  Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the 4?

Let me say that I most likely will only do the "usual" stuff with my phone....call, text, web, pictures, mp3.  Just wanted to hear some thoughts from people that already use, or have used, the phone, before I make my decision.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate your time!

B

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I'm renewing my plan, and am thinking of the iPhone 4.....good idea?
Not applicable

Firstly are you on unlimited data currently? That will go a long way to giving you a good answer. As far as which Iphone. Well I can't stand Apple products so to me they all suck so I'm not the one to answer that. I will say that neither one has 4G. Other than one had a S in the name I'm not sure of the difference.

0 Likes
DrMondo

Brian,

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry for omitting that info.....I am currently on unlimited data....the original plan I started with.   Hope this helps.  Thanks again.

B

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you get a subsidized phone, i.e., sign a new two-year contract in exchange for a discounted phone, you will lose your unlimited data and have to choose either a tiered data plan (i.e., $30 for 2 GB) or switch to a Share Everything plan ... this became effective the end of June.  If you want to keep your unlimited data, you'll either need to stick with your current phone, pay full retail price for your phone, or get it from somewhere like ebay.

0 Likes
boatmajik02
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have not renewed yet, maybe you should look at other providers such as AT&T, first. Verizon is generally more expensive, I think. Also, you need to ask yourself about the quality of your cell phone coverage. I think that while Verizon's data service coverage is pretty good, their voice network is horrible. Mine is so bad that I can't wait to leave Verizon. (read my Sayanora Verizon post.) I have friends with AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile who get great signal strength standing right beside me, and comparing the bars, they have 4-5 bars while I have only one. Grrrrr!

As far as iphones go, my wife has one through AT&T and I like it. One of the nice things about it is the WiFi option which is available anytime you are in a hotspot or at home which means you don't acrue data charges. The main differences between the 4 and 4s involves more memory, the availability of Siri, stuff like that. You don't go beyond the pale really until the iphone 5. I am going to get a 4 when I switch providers... that can't happen soon enough!

0 Likes
Not applicable

boatmajik02 wrote:

If you have not renewed yet, maybe you should look at other providers such as AT&T, first. Verizon is generally more expensive, I think. Also, you need to ask yourself about the quality of your cell phone coverage. I think that while Verizon's data service coverage is pretty good, their voice network is horrible. Mine is so bad that I can't wait to leave Verizon. (read my Sayanora Verizon post.) I have friends with AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile who get great signal strength standing right beside me, and comparing the bars, they have 4-5 bars while I have only one. Grrrrr!

As far as iphones go, my wife has one through AT&T and I like it. One of the nice things about it is the WiFi option which is available anytime you are in a hotspot or at home which means you don't acrue data charges. The main differences between the 4 and 4s involves more memory, the availability of Siri, stuff like that. You don't go beyond the pale really until the iphone 5. I am going to get a 4 when I switch providers... that can't happen soon enough!

You are so full of it. Please ignore this person.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

boatmajik02 wrote:

If you have not renewed yet, maybe you should look at other providers such as AT&T, first. Verizon is generally more expensive, I think. Also, you need to ask yourself about the quality of your cell phone coverage. I think that while Verizon's data service coverage is pretty good, their voice network is horrible. Mine is so bad that I can't wait to leave Verizon. (read my Sayanora Verizon post.) I have friends with AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile who get great signal strength standing right beside me, and comparing the bars, they have 4-5 bars while I have only one. Grrrrr! Some people/areas have better service with some providers rather than others. Of course you should go with the provider which offers you the best service. As a opposing perspective from boatmajik02, I NEVER have dropped calls with Verizon. Additionally, I have friends with other providers who have asked to use my phone which had service while their phones (Sprint & T-Mobile) would not connect on ANY calls. This happened in the Baltimore area. So take someone's statement that a certain provider does not have good coverage with a grain of salt. You should always choose the best provider for you.

As far as iphones go, my wife has one through AT&T and I like it. One of the nice things about it is the WiFi option which is available anytime you are in a hotspot or at home which means you don't acrue data charges. Most, if not ALL, smartphones have wifi. This is not exclusive to the iPhone, or the iPhone on AT&T.

The main differences between the 4 and 4s involves more memory, the availability of Siri, stuff like that. You don't go beyond the pale really until the iphone 5. I am going to get a 4 when I switch providers... that can't happen soon enough! Differences in memory between the 4 & 4S are only applicable to the "new" phones being sold currently. When these phones were first introduced, the memory choices were the exact same, being offered in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions. As a new iPhone is introduced, the iPhone which is 2 cycles old(currently the iPhone 4) normally comes out in an 8GB version and the iPhone which is 1 cycle old(currently the iPhone 4S) drops in price by $100. At least this is how it has been handled in the past and is currently being handled. The biggest differences between the iPhone 4 & 4S are the chipset in the phone, bluetooth version, camera and (at least the Verizon iPhone) the ability to have the handset unlocked to be used as a global phone in foreign countries by inserting a local SIM card. The Verizon iPhone 4 does not have a SIM card, while the Verizon iPhone 4S does have a SIM card.

0 Likes
DrMondo

Again....thank you all that have taken the time to reply.   I'm still unclear as to the plan options.  Since I'm still on my original, unlimited data plan, will I eventually HAVE to choose one of the data packages?  (...and I'm not trying NOT to pick one....if I have to go to one, fine...I'm just unclear of this entire process).  Someone had replied that I should just keep my current Blackberry.....or pay full price for a phone (not)......or get a phone on Ebay.  Honestly......I just don't want my payment to go up....and I wasn't sure if the data packages would actually make it go down.  , I just skimmed over a thread last night where you were helping a person that had a question about their plan. 

Don't want to be a nuisance with trivial questions......I appreciate everyone's help!

B

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you will have to choose a data package if you get a discounted phone from Verizon (i.e., sign a new two-year contract).

If you want to keep your unlimited data, you cannot get a discounted phone, you will have to pay full price or buy it from somewhere like ebay.

If you keep your current calling plan and switch from the unlimited data to a tiered data plan, then your cost won't go up if you choose a 2 GB plan since it's $30.  If you choose more data, then yes, the cost goes up

If you switch your account to Share Everything, I don't know if the cost would go up or not because I don't know what plan you currently are on.  But the basics of that plan are that each smartphone on your account would be $40 (basic phones are $30), you'd get unlimited minutes/texts, and then would choose a data plan that also includes hotspot; data prices start at $50 for 1 GB.

0 Likes
DrMondo

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  Now I have some decisions to make!   Smiley Happy

I appreciate the time,

B

0 Likes