Insurance for iPhones
latteconnie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would rather not get additional insurance for my new iPhone 4S~~actually it's hard for me to afford!   $9.99/mo. would be my best bet for additional 2 yr. warranty.  Any advise if I'm a very careful cell phone owner????

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Insurance for iPhones
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Well...if you're generally very careful and willing to accept the risk then you have the option of not getting insurance at all. If nothing happens to your iPhone then you lost nothing. If something unexpected does happen...then you will either have to pay full retail to get another one, use an old phone until you are eligible for upgrade, or you might be able to find a device for sale that is cheaper and you can afford to hold you over. It's difficult for anyone to advise you on that. You know what your financial abilities are and what risk you can really afford to take. You also have the option of getting the AppleCare+ plan that may be cheaper in the long run (cheaper than paying the monthly fee I mean). For some, paying the lump sum upfront feels like too much so they are willing to pay more over time (as would be the case with the monthly insurance fee assuming you kept the device for a year or more and paid....this is also excluding the additional cost needed if you ever have to actually use the insurance for a replacement). Again, that's a personal choice. I, and many others, opted out of insurance because we were willing to take the risk and understood the implications of doing so if an issue does arise in the future. For many others, that risk is way more than they are willing or able to take.

0 Likes
honi21

As stated above no one can advice you with the financial aspect of things but I will tell you that today I dropped my iphone 4s (I am always careful) but it slipped and the entire screen shattered. I was told I purchased insurance but I guess whoever "added" didn't (that is another story) so long story short I have to either buy a new phone or switch to an old one because per the Apple genius the glass isn't replacable in these as it isn't a seperate entity as previous models are. I have had the insurance and have used it one time out of the several years I had it and it does work and does save you a lot of money. I would seriously was the risk before you decide.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

honi21 wrote:

As stated above no one can advice you with the financial aspect of things but I will tell you that today I dropped my iphone 4s (I am always careful) but it slipped and the entire screen shattered. I was told I purchased insurance but I guess whoever "added" didn't (that is another story) so long story short I have to either buy a new phone or switch to an old one because per the Apple genius the glass isn't replacable in these as it isn't a seperate entity as previous models are. I have had the insurance and have used it one time out of the several years I had it and it does work and does save you a lot of money. I would seriously was the risk before you decide.

As far as your issue with being told you had purchased insurance...were you paying a monthly fee to Verizon for insurance? I can't recall the exact amount but I think it's $10.99 or something like that per month for the iPhone 4/4s. If so, then you are covered via VZW, not Apple. If you purchased from Apple then you should have had a charge for AppleCare+ on your invoice ($99 I believe). I assume that wouldn't be the case if you went to Apple and they wouldn't fix it due to lack of insurance and inability to replace the screen. There might be 3rd party repair providers...not sure, but if so then you might find a good price to get it fixed.

At any rate, your situation is exactly the kind of thing that may be the main reason anyone chooses to get coverage. No matter how careful you are accidents can happen to anyone. Insurance can be the difference of paying just a small portion of the would be full retail price (small compared to having to shell out $699/799/899 or something along those lines). For those on the fence one thing to consider is if your phone was lost, stolen, or damaged could you purchase a new one at full retail with no trouble? If you can, then taking the risk is more favorable since you know you have a security reserve if you need it. For those that know they would have to shuffle some finances around to be able to buy a new one at full retail...then insurance is something to strongly consider. AppleCare+ upfront costs, plus their replacement cost seems cheaper than paying the monthly VZW fee, but you need to read the coverage details on both to see which one better fits your needs.

0 Likes
KathiMR

Yeah, & it is a bit confusing since there is the Verizon insurance & the Apple Care Plus insurance from Apple (which can be purchased from Verizon or Apple). I need to re-read the terms of each. The Verizon insurance had a higher deductibe on the replacement costs. & the Apple Care one includes their Apple Service. I don't recall that the Verizon one does.

I have Apple Care on my MacBookPro & while I wasn't expecting to need it, I had a bunch of problems last year--I think maybe because of conflicts with running Windows 7 64 bit in Bootcamp as well as Parallels. They never did figure out for sure what it was, but Apple took care of me & ended up replacing hardware (logic board & HD, etc) even though no tests showed them broken.  I would bet that other computer co's would have lefft me hanging when they couldn't diagnose the problem. & I like the fact that I can take it in to my local apple store for help or service.

To date, I have never purchased insurance on a phone, even my Windows mobile HTC Touch Pro 2, which malfunctioned during the 1st year. & the replacment LG Fathom is working but not well (alarms don't work right, it freezes or gets slugish).

So I think I probably will play it safe & get the Apple Care Plus & probably take my new 4S to the Apple store to help me get set up when it comes & buy the Apple Care plus at the same time.

0 Likes