Iphone 4 full of data that I'm not using.
CC_93

So, I have an iPhone 4.  I got it about a year ago when Verizon was having the special and it was free.
I haven't had any problems with it until now.
I have 3 apps that I downloaded, 417 photos, and 20 videos.  Now my boyfriend has the exact same phone as me.  About 3 rows of apps and twice as many photos and videos as me.  Now what stumps me is that I get a warning about every time I open my phone about how the storage is full.  Considering there are 1024 MB in a single GB, then I should have about 8000+ MB in my phone since it's an 8 GB.  I'm only using about 300 MB, at least that's what my phone is telling me.  So what's the problem?  Why am I not getting all my MBs?  I can't take anymore pictures or take videos and quite frankly I'm getting sick of it.  I haven't updated my phone, and most people said AFTER they updated their phones they had this issue.  Deleting photos is not an option, I've deleted countless albums and it's still "full".  I've gone on the safari part of my phone and erased all the data and cookies, that gives me about 20 MBs back, but not anymore.
Any information would be helpful, considering that I'm paying monthly for a phone I can't get full access on.

-A Very Frustrated Customer

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 4 full of data that I'm not using.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried backing up through iTunes and restoring?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello CC_93. The iPhone is easily one of my favorite smartphones of all time! While it has a variety of features and functionalities, expandable memory isn't one of them. In such a unique case, the best solution is to explore alternative options to archive media. as Ann154 stated, have you considered backing up info to iTunes or iCloud? By doing so, you can save your pics without using your device memory. If you need help with this option this please advise so we can help.

Thank you...

Arnett_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Iphone 4 full of data that I'm not using.
CC_93

Well, now my phone decided to delete all of my contacts and it still doesn't have space.  What is going on?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It certainly seems as though your phone is doing it's own thing. It's hard to say what may be causing this specifically, but it would be best to back everything up and then restore the device as suggested by Apple.
http://bit.ly/Ull4wy
http://bit.ly/QG1SaK

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
dleist17

Mine does the same thing, I upload all my pics to my drop box so I dont have pics or vids on my phone.  I have a 10 song play list that I use at the gym, 14 apps.  I have backed up and restored my phone multiple times, but with in a couple of days when I plug into my itunes it says that my "other" is taking up 3/4 of my memory.  I have even went into my apps and deleted history, deleted all my call and text history, cleared internet history and cookies and the only way I have found to keep the "other" down is to back up the phone and restore every couple of weeks.  SUCKS!

0 Likes
CC_93

So, I went to the store today to try and figure out what is going on with my phone and I was told that I should go to apple to have them look at my phone.
Here is a list of things going wrong with my phone:

1.  Keeps deleting contacts every 2-3 days and every time I turn my phone off.
2.  It's full of 2.3 GB of "other".  I used phone check when I called for technical support and it said there was only 17.38 KB of data that is taking up space (obviously apps are not the issue).
3.  When I try to go on the 1 app that I can use (Facebook) I have many issues on it.  It constantly closes out and resets.  It also "cleans" itself a lot.
4.  My data on my plan is being used at random times, like 5 am, 7 am, and 9 am.  All of which I am not up and NOT using my phone, plus I use wifi 24/7.  I've addressed this problem to two people and they have NO idea what my data is being used for at those times in the morning.  I do not receive e-mails at these times or anything that would have it be used.  I close my apps every time I'm finished so nothing is left open.
5.  My battery dies QUICK.  Much faster then it did when I had in the beginning.

I've heard of people being able to hack into phones.  I'm not saying that's whats happening to me 100%, but it's a possibility.
I will be going to the apple store sometime this week and see if they can help me at all, but having gone through the phone clean and having nothing pop up just strikes me as weird.

I forgot to mention that I did plug it into my computer and got it registered, nothing pops up in the apps section and I can't see what the "other" is when I click on it.

0 Likes