Re: Iphone 4s Wifi greyed out.
charming72002

I had the same problem and tried all of the fixes. Apple Genius Bar said i needed a new phone.

Called Verizon tech support. called in from another phone. Tech support had me push new update from verizon

then turn off  phone. Turned back on. Wi fi worked. Found my home network. Put in passcode. Back in business.

Not a phone issue.

0 Likes
mcrisost1999
Enthusiast - Level 1

charming, do you by chance know/ remember what the verizon update is?  wife's phone has same issue, would love to fix it vs. upgrading devices.  thanks in advance.    

0 Likes
charming72002

Unfortunately it only worked for part of a day.

New phones soon so I would wait to see what

Apple announces

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
binkroon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe you should read these discussions:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5331834?start=60&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5328365?start=390&tstart=0

Let me sum up my observations in this discussion.

Everyone having a problem in this discussion has the following problem:

• All phone affected are IPhone 4s
  • All problems occurred after the upgrade to iOS7
  • The issue we are experiencing is a greyed out WiFI button, which was not greyed out before.
  • We have tried all options advised by Apple to resolve this issue.
  • we are all unable to solve this problem ourselves constructively, although some of us have managed adhoc 'fixes' like hairdryers or using the fridge to 'cool off' the wifi chip.
  • Our iPhone 4s's  were operating without any noticable problems prior to the upgrade to iOS7

The above makes me to draw the following conclusion:

There is a clear pattern and these are obviously not individual cases. It appears the wifi chip of the iPhone 4s is being of a substandard quality and not being not fully compatible with the new iOS firmware which causes this problem. Also most of the beta testing over the past months was done using the iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s. Most likely because the 4 series were not part of the large scale testing Apple was not fully aware of this accelerated issue with the Wifi chip (when you do a Google search on "iPhone greyed out wifi" you see that this issue is not new, and you see the issue involves mostly the 4s ) But it seems iOS 7 pushed these weak and thus unreliable wifi chips just over the edge, causing them to overheat and thus to stop functioning altogether.

Apple must be fully aware of this issue by now but they are incredibly silent in communicating with their in my estimation  'multiple thousands' of customers worldwide experiencing this problem. Apple only sticks by claiming the upgrade to iOS7 is "at your own risk" (that's what I was told) and sticking to the warranty period

(I bought my iPhone in Aug 2012, so am out of Apple warranty)

I feel that Apple should take their responsibility and help her customers in solving this quality issue.

As customers in good faith we bought this product (I paid some €600) having trust in Apple and in the faith the quality would be such that we could use it -with good care of course- for at least 2, 3 or even 4 years.

But unknown to her trusting consumers Apple created a product using a faulty wifi chip (hence the overheating issues which can eventually lead to failure)

As result of this us, we, customers are now stuck with an unusable iPhone for which we paid plenty of money.

( One thing I am sure of, if Apple would be a car manufacturer or an airplane manufacturer they would never get away with this, and would be forced to do a recall)

My message to Apple:

It is now time to act. Taking responsiblilty never hurts (even if you for some reason feel you are not fully to blame) It gives you credit. And credit gives you loyal customers.

GalacticHero
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. My Verizon 4s keeps greying out the WiFi since iOS 7 or drops and reconnects. It will eventually crash to black screen and require the home-lock button reset to bring it back. I've tried all of Apple's suggestions including full wipe and restore. Problem happens only with my 4s not the wife's 5 nor any other WiFi device in the house. My router is Apple's own AirPort Extreme. Apple should just own up to this problem.

0 Likes
leepeihung

Apple should be punished and everyone should "STOP" buying their stuff. They chose to blame this issue to the broken hardware(that's the end result caused by ""APPLE""), but not telling us what the root cause is. I can't believe how contemptible they are. I have called Asia apple care and they told me they didn't see this issue reported in Asia and they won't acknowledge any evidence from apple forum or websites. I was pissed and told them that if I paid the stupid fee, can you promise me you refund my fee if the new phone exhibits the same problem after the upgrade? They said they can't promise that and they can only make another replacement if it happens. If they are so confident with their phone/iOS7, why can't they promise that? Then I called US apple care. I sent them the link about this problem in apple forum and she told me "I do want to let you know that the likelihood of heat causing the wifi to be grayed out is extremely slim.". I don't know if they are all blind (removed). Even with so many postings, they can still ignore it and educate their staff to talk this (removed). I really want to know if this issue happens to their own phone, what would they react??? Believe this (removed) themselves!~ ? APPLE, please stop wasting our time. I don't want to try fixing your damn phone myself!!! My next step will go for media and force them to speak up!!!!

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
jackngator

Exact same problem here with no support from Apple or Verizon.  The best they can offer is to replace the phone with another iPhone 4S for $200.  The phone worked great until the new OS came out and then, like many others, the phone's wifi chip dies.  Now my only option is to use 3G all of the time and HOPE that we don't have data overages.  Of course if we do have data overages, Verizon will profit - so they have no motivation to help solve this issue either.

Very disappointing.

0 Likes
panhead527

I have the same problem with my 4S - also started with new OS. Turn on wireless & bluetooth in the "new" control pannel & it stays grayed out in settings - WTF. Turn the phone off then back on & the control pannel reverts to off for both wireless & bluetooth!! Blue tooth issues,  mostly stays at daisy wheel ocassionaly brings up devices. Working in electronics for 40 years - Apples explanation of a hardware issue only is pure bull excrement. Proabley their way of making this 4s obsolete & selling more 5's. Bad idea as this will be my first & only Apple device.

0 Likes
barnespennstate

Same problem.  iPhone 4S' wifi greyed out and phone is out of Apple warranty.  Called Apple on Friday & was told to take my phone into a retail Apple store.  Took to Apple store on Monday, where my phone was diagnosed by a "Genius" without looking at my phone.  My only guess is that he had seen this same issue a bunch of times and knew that there was a problem because the guy was acting nervous and literally knew that I would need a replacement phone without even seeing that my phone worked.  I told him that I didn't want to purchase a new phone from them for $200 since I had the extended phone warranty from Verizon.  I asked him to write up notes from the consultation so that I could share them with Verizon, who would hopefully be willing to replace my phone in accordance with my EW.  Monday night rolls around, no dice on the notes.  Call Apple retail store & ask that notes be sent again.  No dice twice.  I'm currently chatting online with an Apple rep to get some notes on the issue.  Sounds like Apple is avoiding this issue at all costs.  Here's what the rep said:  "Basically, what they found at the store is the wireless chipset in the iPhone has physically failed. Essentially, it tried to update the wireless firmware along with the rest of the update, but it failed to install due to a self-reported failure from that component. In essence there’s a few things that could cause this, but it’s likely to be an issue of failed memory or an overall problem with the wireless chipset. Though a restore or update brings out the problem, it’s not exactly the cause, and the wireless would have failed on its own eventually. The only possible fix for this is physical service to the phone"

0 Likes
leepeihung

Please sign the petition here:

http://wh.gov/lKjFd

Here's some more information about this petition:

Apple should replace all broken iphone4s for free due to update of iOS7 which destroys wifi chip.

Apple refuses to investigate and give a clear answer on this in public. They tried to ignore all evidences or analysis which shows it is a problem caused by its software. They blamed this problem to customer's defective hardware without evidence. It is obvious against the law. We need US government's attention!!!!

0 Likes