Issues with Date and Time randomly changing on iPhones
Twyfordjr

We noticed a few days ago that the time on one of our iPhones was off by several hours.  After looking into the settings we realized the day was also wrong by several days.  My first thought was that the "Set Automatically" button was off under Date and Time and somehow the time got changed.  However, the "Set Automatically" was on and the only way to fix the time was to turn the button off.  This still only works intermittently as we noticed that it seems to jump back and forth from right to wrong randomly.  This started on my wife's phone so my next step was to check mine and I found the same problem.  We have 2 other iPhone's is the family, ranging from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5, and they are all having the same problem.

I was concerned about the time randomly changing and my alarm clock working so I began testing that and found that the alarm still works but the snooze function does not.  The alarm sounds on the initial time but if you hit snooze it seems to work and shows the time counting down but never sounds the alarm again. This might be unrelated to the time issue but it started on the same day and everything worked fine before we noticed the time and date issue. I use snooze every morning and used it the morning before this issue started so I believe it is related.

I started looking into this problem on Apple's website and found an article that suggested the problem is with the carrier if the "Set Automatically" button is displaying the wrong date and time.  Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issues with Date and Time randomly changing on iPhones
Not applicable
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Twyfordjr, I can understand how this issue would be a nuisance and we want to make sure this is resolved. First, for any 3G iPhones, the 4 and 4S, please dial *228 option 2 and reboot. For the 5, please remove the SIM card for about 30 seconds and re-insert. If the problem persists, let me know what software version you have and what zip code you are located in?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ImReadyToSwitch

I own an iPhone 4 and 5, having the same problems as described above. I've done my homework and everyone says this is a Verizon tower issue, not related to our phones in any way. This is obviously a big problem, our phones keep saying it's August 6, 2014 and, as a result, many services do not work (for example, Google won't work because it thinks the incorrect date/time is a security issue).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Imreadytoswitch

I would be happy to look into this with you. It may very well be a tower issue. Let's work together and get this addressed. Did you try the above options? If so, lets check the area. What zip code are you in?

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
Twyfordjr

Hi Marquia and Joel,

First, thank you for looking into this for us.

I have to agree with Imreadytoswitch... we have four phones that started doing this on the same day so it is likely not the phones.

However,  *228 was the first thing I tried before getting on here to find a solution and it did not help.

In addition to the description of the above, I have noticed that every time the time and date issue happens I get the following message on my phone... " iMessage Failed - Your Date and Time settings need to be updated".

Marquia, to answer your questions.  The software on my iPhone 4 is iOS 7.0.4 and the zip code is 91307.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update! I'm not showing any time issues reported in this area. Do you notice the phone losing signal when this happens? Are you connected to wifi or 3G/4G? Also, does this only seem to happen at home or all over? If just at home, do you have a network extender?

MarquiaF_VZW

0 Likes
Twyfordjr

Hi Marquia,

I believe it is loosing signal and yes it is connected to a wifi when we

are at home. I have noticed that the 3G label on the phone does seem to go

on an off when it is happening. I've only noticed it while at home, so I

can't say whether it is happening other places and we do have a network

extender at home.

Thanks,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Twyfordjr,

Got it! Thank you for the clarification. This may happen on the Network Extender, please go to Settings>General>Time&Date>Disable Setting it Automatically and this will be resolved.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Twyfordjr

Hello,

I have already turned off "Set it Automatically" and that did not resolve

the issue. It will still show the wrong date and time occasionally and the

only way to get it to reset is to turn the "Set it Automatically" back on

and it causes it to loose connection and then rest. I then turn it back to

manual. It does seem to happen as often when the "Set it Automattically is

off but i still does.

Also, turning of this setting is not a solution. Even if that worked it is

not addressing the problem. We have had the extender for at least a couple

of years and this has only started happening in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Ray

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very strange Twyfordjr! Let's try a hard reset http://bit.ly/LdGqLl on your iPhone 4 and test. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes