My iPhone 4S was stolen and Verizon let another customer initiate service with my device
tattooedchic40

So, on December 2nd my iPhone 4S was stolen out of my purse while shopping. I called Verizon within 45 minutes of the theft and had my phone service and device suspended. The next day, December 3rd I entered a local Verizon Wireless store and requested assistance in activating my old device. The store manager was very nice and helpful. We had to log into my Verizon.com account and do many different things. During this time somehow my iPhone was taken off the "stolen" device list unbeknownst to me. I'm really not sure how it happened. Obviously it must have been one click of a button with no "are you sure you want to reactivate this device" warning or popup. I had already called assurion to file a claim. I was beside myself when Assurion denied my claim stating that the device was active and not stolen. I called Verizon to see what was going on and to my disbelief they allowed another individual to activate my stolen device. I was beside my self and angry beyond belief! Verizon now refuses to discontinue service to the individual that is using my device. Mind you that I have an original purchase receipt and box that the phone came in. Verizon says that the only way they will do anything is if I contact the police and the police call them. So, on December 6th I filed a police report and followed up with the police. To this date the police nor verizon have done anything about this. I am thoroughly disgusted with Verizon and would take my business elsewhere if I weren't locked into a contract with them. Assurion finally replaced the phone at an additional charge to me. I cannot believe that Verizon can legally defraud an insurance company by allowing another customer to continue to utilize a stolen device that the insurance company paid a claim on. 

Does anyone have any advice on what other channels I can pursue to get my original phone and or deductible back? I can't believe that I could be the only person this has happened to. If it was so easy for myself or the verizon associate to reactivate a stolen phone then it must have happened to someone else. Please contact me if this has happened to you or someone you know. I am looking for others that this has happened to so that a possible class action suit may be filed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My iPhone 4S was stolen and Verizon let another customer initiate service with my device
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you have your police report, the serial number for the stolen device, and your original receipt then (depending on your state laws) you should be able to get something done. Since Verizon activated the stolen device they know where it is located or at least where the new "owner" is located acccording to billing address info. The person that currently has it may not have stolen it but they are in possesion of stolen goods...if they bought it from someone then this is unfortunate for them. Check into filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

You can also check into filing an FCC complaint (you need to verify if your situation qualifies for filing this way though). http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?id

You can also try filing complaints with your State Public Utility Commission. You would need to search for the correct organization to file a complaint for your state. In my state, the link to begin a complaint would be at the following address: http://crs.psc.state.ga.us/Consumer/Contact/utilityCompany.aspx . That's just an example of what you would be looking for.Again, you would need to verify if your situation qualifies for filing this way.

You can also try contacting VZW in writing at corporate headquarters. You also have the option of contacting an attorney if you feel you have a case and seeing what they advise you.

0 Likes
Re: My iPhone 4S was stolen and Verizon let another customer initiate service with my device
Not applicable

tattooedchic40,

I am sorry to hear that your device was stolen. I also want to apologize for the mishandling of your situation. I would love to review this further with you, because once the device is reported as stolen, it cannot be removed from our system easily. Also, what additional fee did Asurion charge you? I ask, because a deductible is applied for any claim filed and that phone IS added to our system by Asurion as stolen and cannot be remove. Please private message me for more help.

Thank you!

0 Likes
jonathan_in_dc

Adam,

It sounds like you are part of the VZW organization.  I just bought a Blackberry 9930 on ebay.  Amazingly, it showed up activated on 917-589-6054.  Something is definitely fishy here.  That's somebody's active corporate account!  How can I find out if this phone is reported stolen?  The IMEI is A00000 DAC3DB.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

jonathan_in_dc,

Prior to purchasing a device from a third party source such as EBay, Craigs List or a friend, we ask that you contact us to make sure the ESN/MEID is free and clear  You can reach us by phone or we have a wonderful online tool that can be used to check your ESN/MEID. Don't enter any spaces between the letter and/or numbers.

I've already taken the liberty of entering the information you gave us on 1/31/12, however it doesn't appear that is a valid number. Please verify it by going into the settings on the phone.

If it is showing active on another number, you should contact the seller & have them call in to remove the MEID from their line in order for you to be able to use it.

If you need any additional assistance from us, feel free to message back.

Tamara H.

Follow us onTwitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes