New Apple update for IPhone
ecolt22

My daughter and son have had problems with phone since they did the ISO6 update.  My daughter just received notice of another update.  Figuring it would help with the issues she was having since the ISO6 update, she proceeded to update her phone.  Needless to say, she has lost all phone contacts, and over 500 pictures.  Both Verizon and Apple are telling us that if she hadn't backed up her phone to another device/system ie: ICloud, a disk or home computer, there is nothing they can do to get back her contacts and pictures.  If I delete something here at work, and I have, the IT Department is able to find it and replace it back on my computer.  They don't like it and it can take some time but the do it.  How can the IT people at Apple and/or Verizon not be able to retrieve this info.  This baffles me and I am very upset that an UPDATE would WIPE OUT all info on the phone and then update the device.  This makes no sense to me.  I have spoked to several IT people at my place of employment and the update should keep all existing info in phone and update it for any new info that would be entered.  Can anyone please explain why my daughter can not get her contacts and photos back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Apple update for IPhone
budone
Legend

I suspect the company you work for has less than 98 million employees. It would be a nightmare for VZW or Apple to handle what the subscriber should do. They each give the tools to do so, the subscriber needs to take some responsibility to use those tools

ecolt22

thanks budone for being so understanding.  Sorry not everyone is IT savy to know where and how to locate such tools.  It's not a matter of being irresponsible - but thanks again for your thoughts.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

ecolt22 wrote:

My daughter and son have had problems with phone since they did the ISO6 update.  My daughter just received notice of another update.  Figuring it would help with the issues she was having since the ISO6 update, she proceeded to update her phone.  Needless to say, she has lost all phone contacts, and over 500 pictures.  Both Verizon and Apple are telling us that if she hadn't backed up her phone to another device/system ie: ICloud, a disk or home computer, there is nothing they can do to get back her contacts and pictures.  If I delete something here at work, and I have, the IT Department is able to find it and replace it back on my computer.  They don't like it and it can take some time but the do it.  How can the IT people at Apple and/or Verizon not be able to retrieve this info.  This baffles me and I am very upset that an UPDATE would WIPE OUT all info on the phone and then update the device.  This makes no sense to me.  I have spoked to several IT people at my place of employment and the update should keep all existing info in phone and update it for any new info that would be entered.  Can anyone please explain why my daughter can not get her contacts and photos back.

You say your IT department is able to find something which you accidentally delete. This COULD be because the IT department routinely backs up your computer even though you are not aware of it.  Additionally, accidentally deleting something is not the same as installing a new OS, which I assume your IT department DOES NOT allow you to do. It is either done for you or remotely by your IT department.

Does your son/daughter sync their iPhone to a computer at home? If so, the first time it was set up with the computer, he/she/you were asked if you want to have your info backed up and if so, where. Either the cloud or on your computer. This is not being IT savvy, but just reading directions and answering questions.

As budone has mentioned, this is a smartphone, and there IS a level of responsibility which NEEDS to be taken on by the user of the device. Being IT savvy does not have much to do with it. The iPhone has an incredibly non-IT savvy interface which it uses to walk you thru the setup. If you, or your son/daughter chooses to ignore the suggested settings, then there is not much anyone will be able to help you with.

This MAY seem as if we are not being understanding, but you don't really have to know where or how to locate the tools. If you plug the phone into the computer, you are asked about the tools during the setup, and they are then visible EVERY time you plug the phone in again on the summary page for your phone. It lists the last date it was backed up, whether you want to back it up now, restore to factory settings, etc...

0 Likes
ecolt22

RCSHNOOR,

you explanation was much more helpful and stated more kindly.  Unfortunately we have not synced our phones to the home computer and just use it as a phone, camera, to check email and for the gps.  I do not recall ever seeing it ask for back up info.  We have learned the hard way and will certainly set up an ICloud for future references and check with Verizon about the back-up stuff.  Thanks again for a better explanation.

0 Likes