No Oct. 4th Excitement?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'm surprised that I don't see threads about the Apple event on 10/4/11.  This is the first step from rumor to reality for the iPhone fans.  Is there no love?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Oct. 4th Excitement?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Probably won't get those threads until after the press conference on the 4th. Then there will be definite info to start a thread about (such as the exact release date...at this time we don't know that. We just know an announcement will be made on the 4th).

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2
I have had an upgrade available and have patiently awaited the release announcement. I have a Droid X now and I'm waiting on more info before I decide on whether to give ios a try. I gave android a shot and for me personally I just want a phone that works without being told to factory reset everytime this Droid X has another issue.
0 Likes
wahoo_tiger

Not to be a buzz kill, but do you really expect that Verizon will release iOS 5 to VZW subscribers before year-end?  At all?  

VZW doesn't exactly have a good track record of timely releases of major software updates.  I wouldn't be surprised to see iOS 5 held back for iPhone 4 to push people to upgrade out of cycle to iPhone 5 if it is released by Apple.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

wahoo_tiger wrote:

Not to be a buzz kill, but do you really expect that Verizon will release iOS 5 to VZW subscribers before year-end?  At all?  

VZW doesn't exactly have a good track record of timely releases of major software updates.  I wouldn't be surprised to see iOS 5 held back for iPhone 4 to push people to upgrade out of cycle to iPhone 5 if it is released by Apple.

Verizon doesn't control the iOS updates so that's not really the issue. If an iOS update is made available for our CDMA iPhone we don't have to go through VZW to get it...it would be available via iTunes, which VZW has absolutely no control over. If it were left up to the wireless companies to completely hold out on iOS updates to further push sales of the iPhone 5 then what would make you think that VZW would be the only ones to use that practice? AT&T would have done so during each major iOS/Handset change. The truth is...many with the iPhone 4 would upgrade to the iPhone 5 despite iOS 5 being available for their current device. The upgrade wouldn't be because of the iOS update released...it would be because the iPhone 5 would have something that the iPhone 4 doesn't...even if the difference is insignificant. It is why so many people are more than willing to pay full retail each time a new device comes out (this was something many Verizon users already did before the iPhone arrived). Some people are more interested in having the latest...so (for example) if the camera is better then they won't be satisfied with their iPhone 4 even with iOS 5.

0 Likes
C_DM

wahoo_tiger wrote:

As mentioned, VZW has no control over iOS updates, it's all up to Apple. In case of iOS 5 it seems (at least so far) that it will be available for CDMA (VZW) phones right when it comes out, so those with CDMA (VZW) iPhones should be all set.
0 Likes
sdlaw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like others have said it's apple's decision to relase iOS updates.  In the past, there were delays because Apple had to make two different iOS updates, one for CDMA (verizon) and one for GSM(att).  Since the majority of their users had ATT, that's what came first.  But now there's been a change.

According to all market news and analysts, the iPhone5(4s?) will have a GSM/CDMA chip from Qualcomm.  this means that apple makes the exact same phone regardless of who it will be going to because the phone can work on either network.  Granted, ATT will prob lock the phones from being used with verizon and visa versa but it will be the same phone in consumer's hands regardless of network.

This means that everyone will get the updates at the exact same time and Apple will only have to release one iOS update because of the new chip.

Therefore, in the future we should be getting our updates the same time as anyone else.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

I'll believe it when I see it.  I thought that the Verizon iPhone 4 would eventually get iOS 4.3 too and look what that got me.

0 Likes
wahoo_tiger

Ditto - saw the same thing with Palm Pre.  Hope that we do get it on a timely basis.

0 Likes
emike2k3

I've been running the iOS 5 Beta on my Verizon iPhone since it came early this summer and have not had any issues at all.  That leads me to think that they'll roll iOS 5 out to ALL iPhones that can support it.

0 Likes