Not Receiving or Sending SMS... Please help?
benknauff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, last night my iphone 4S mysteriously stopped receiving and sending SMS messages. I have an unlimited texts plan and did not make any significant updates to my phone. I have had iOS 6 since it was released for my phone with no problems. I can still send and receive emails with my phone and use Pandora, etc.

I already tried shutting down my phone for over a minute and called *228 Option 1, to no avail.

I also noticed that last night the messages I was sending to my wife (who also has an iphone 4) stopped appearing in blue bubbles and switched to green. I suspect that this corresponds with the problem I'm having.

Can anyone help me out here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not Receiving or Sending SMS... Please help?
benknauff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an update. Here is what happened with my phone:

Somehow, iMessage became disabled. I figured this out when my brother, who has a Blackberry, successfully sent me a text.

I went into Settings > Messages, where iMessage was set to "On," but there was a message underneath that said "activating." I switched it to "Off" and then back to "On," and regular functionality resumed.

I still have no idea why the iMessage service dropped out in the first place, but maybe this message will be of some help to others.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
abby_taylor

i have the same problem!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Abby have a Look at this that i Found Via the Link below and see if that Helps fix your Issue... Hopefully it will Help b33Smiley Happy

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Products Affected

iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

Symptoms

This article outlines how to troubleshoot issues with the Messages application on iOS devices.

Resolution

If you can't send or receive messages

The following table shows the requirements and capabilities of Messages on iOS.
SMSiPhone1.0 and laterCellularPhone numberText only
MMSiPhone 3G and later3.1 and laterCellular dataPhone numberText, audio1, photos, and video
iMessageiPhone, iPad, or iPod touch5.0 and laterCellular data or Wi-FiPhone number or email addressText, audio1, photos, and video
Collapse All Sections | Expand All Sections

If you still can't send or receive SMS or MMS messages

If you still can't send or receive MMS messages

If you still can't send or receive iMessages

Additional Information

• Note: When using a China Telecom or au (KDDI) iPhone, you can activate iMessage only while on your home network. While traveling internationally, you will be unable to activate iMessage.
  • Learn how to troubleshoot iMessage activation.
  • If SMS or MMS messages you send are not displayed correctly on other devices, see this article.
  • If you receive a message that your mailbox is almost full in the Messages application, ensure that you are using the latest version of iOS. If you continue to receive the prompt, delete some messages. You can delete a conversation by swiping left or right over a conversation and tapping Delete. For other ways to delete a conversation, see the User's Guide.
  • If you plan on transferring your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If you do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.
Notes:
  1. Audio content, while viewable in the Messages application, cannot be saved outside the application.
  2. If your iPhone meets the system requirements, your wireless account may still need to be provisioned to send and receive MMS messages. Many carriers will automatically provision your wireless account for MMS when you first send an MMS message. Other carriers will provision customers' wireless accounts for MMS automatically in large groups at different times. If necessary, check with your carrier to confirm that you are provisioned to send or receive MMS messages.

Important: Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

0 Likes
benknauff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an update. Here is what happened with my phone:

Somehow, iMessage became disabled. I figured this out when my brother, who has a Blackberry, successfully sent me a text.

I went into Settings > Messages, where iMessage was set to "On," but there was a message underneath that said "activating." I switched it to "Off" and then back to "On," and regular functionality resumed.

I still have no idea why the iMessage service dropped out in the first place, but maybe this message will be of some help to others.

0 Likes
carterlinba

I've been getting this issue too. I would have full bars but it would not send. When I send a message out Rogers replies to me "error 27455: message could not send " First time this happened to me I shut my iPhone 4 off, 16GB, GSM, with Rogers of course, for 1 hour and it worked well again for a couple of days but then the same issue occurred. I shut my iPhone off again, turn it back on, no use, I reset my network the first time it didn't work, the second time if worked. This is really aggravating me. Whatever is Rogers they better fix it fast.

Read more at http://www.iphone-mac.com/

0 Likes